Charity needs payroll software?

Options
Hi,
I work for a small playgroup which is a registered charity. I currently do the accounts manually but have been looking at sage to speed things up. Is there any other software that is available cheaper? I'm not really comfortable downloading it off the internet so would ideally like somewhere that sells it cheaply?

Any ideas appreciated :confused:

Comments

• Mike_by_the_Sea
    Options
    Hi chezza

Have a look at this, it might be just what you need.

All the best

Mike

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=631359
    Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught - Sir Winston Churchill
  • Bean_Counter
    Options
    Have you thought about HMRC Employers CD-ROM, which is free. This link shows what it does.

Not used it myself but HMRC always recommend it when I go to their various seminars!
    Today is the first day of the rest of your life
  • Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    try www.moneysoft.co.uk - cheap and very easy to use - all the functions of the likes of Sage at a fraction of the cost, and exceptional support. (No, I'm nothing to do with them, but we use and recommend it as the best of breed for smaller employers).
  • fengirl_2
    fengirl_2 Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Options
    Quickbooks is also good and is used by a lot of charities and includes payroll. Contact your local CVS and ask them to put you in touch with some organisations which use different software so you can speak to some users in person.
    £705,000 raised by client groups in the past 18 mths :beer:
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,032 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If it's just the payroll software you're after, and there's not too many staff, I concur with using the HMRC stuff. It's free, and - with a strong cup of coffee - idiot-proof.

If it's keeping the accounts of income and expenditure, and you don't need a huge amount of detail, an Excel spreadsheet should do it. Personally I think QuickBooks would be far more than you need.

PM me if you'd like a spreadsheet I used to use for keeping the books for an out of school club!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • mountainofdebt
    Options
    The trouble with formal accounting packages is that not only do you have to consider the cost of buying the software, but also the yearly upgrades which can be expensive.
    2014 Target;
    To overpay CC by £1,000.
    Overpayment to date : £310

2nd Purse Challenge:
    £15.88 saved to date
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts