Parcel scam?

Hi

Hoping someone can advise…a courier just dropped off a parcel, when I looked at it it was my address but in someone else’s name.  He didn’t ask for a signature just handed it over.   I’ve lived at my address for over 30 years and I don’t know addressee. I know my neighbours and it’s not to them.  No return address so opened it and it contains an expensive Tissot watch?  I’ve searched online and can’t find any scam re this?  Does anyone have any idea of what I should do with it or what the scam could be?

Thank you

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 18 January 2022 at 3:20PM
    You keep it to one side. Don't hand it over when someone knocks on the door in the next couple of days and tells you it's theirs, or that they've come to collect it on behalf of the sender.

If it's been sent to your address by mistake, the sender will be in touch directly.

• knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 6,970
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Insist on taking a pic of anyone who comes to collect plus proof of ID if you can and then say it has been returned. Then give your evidence to the Police if they are interested.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,595
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Insist on taking a pic of anyone who comes to collect plus proof of ID if you can and then say it has been returned. Then give your evidence to the Police if they are interested.
    And a copy of the reg if you can.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,595
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    OP I don't know of any scam against you,1 I can think of is as zx81 says.

Is there a delivery slip inside, if there is does it mention who its from ?
  • Hi

Hoping someone can advise…a courier just dropped off a parcel, when I looked at it it was my address but in someone else’s name.  He didn’t ask for a signature just handed it over.   I’ve lived at my address for over 30 years and I don’t know addressee. I know my neighbours and it’s not to them.  No return address so opened it and it contains an expensive Tissot watch?  I’ve searched online and can’t find any scam re this?  Does anyone have any idea of what I should do with it or what the scam could be?

Thank you
    I had similar a couple of years ago. My address but not my name. I opened it to see if there was a return address, there wasn't. What had happened is the person who had ordered the item put Avenue instead of road. Is there a similar road name near you that it may be for? 
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,498
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    You keep it to one side. Don't hand it over when someone knocks on the door in the next couple of days and tells you it's theirs, or that they've come to collect it on behalf of the sender.

If it's been sent to your address by mistake, the sender will be in touch directly.

Yep - if a random person turns up - deny all knowledge of the name or the parcel.  The scam is, of course, that the item was ordered on a stolen/cloned credit card and when that is challenged, the supplier only has your address to chase.

I'm surprised that there would be no supplier details inside the box for an expensive item.  (Unless it's a fake!).   If there are some - then you could e-mail the supplier and invite them to arrange collection of their goods.  At their expense.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback