Eicher brake pad and disc only lasted 40K miles?

Options
Fitted them in 2017, I live in London so loads of start stop drving, what's more I have used the car for multidrop delivery and have does so for 13K miles.

I fully expect the pads to be shot at this mileage, but the discs look like they have a 1.5mm lip on them (right on the disc limit of 3mm total wear on both sides).

Is this poor performance for these eicher pads or should I expect this from my driving style?

Also I can see mintex pads and disc set on ebay for a couple quid more on ebay. Is it a good upgrade from eicher?

Comments

• KimJongUn88
    Options
    Eicher were pretty low rent parts from ECP. I don’t think they even sell them any more.

You say 40k in the title and then mention 17k in your post. Which is it? 40k from discs is pretty average if not good.
  • seatbeltnoob
    seatbeltnoob Posts: 1,312 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 17 January 2022 at 10:58PM
    Options
    I mentioned 13k in the post of multidrop deliveries. They are part of the 40k and mentioned them specifically because they will have higher wear on them. Stopping to parallel park about 30 times per shift.

Parallel park about 30 times for about 30 miles driven during multidrop deliveries.. now that ice written it down, it does make sense why the brakes are shot.

I thought eicher were ecp own brand and they still sell them, maybe not for your car.
  • KimJongUn88
    Options
    40k miles for a set of budget discs and pads is good. How many miles did you expect them to last?
  • Goudy
    Goudy Posts: 1,530 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    40k isn't bad for stop start driving around London, you've have trouble getting more out of premium branded brakes.

If you cruised the motorways for hundreds of miles a day, hardly braking they'd last far far longer, mileage wise.

Not long ago, due to boredom I counted how many times I hit the brake pedal on my London commute of around 4 miles.
    I counted over 140 times and traffic was lighter due to lockdown, so that's 280 times both ways.
    I don't think I hit the pedal half as many times when I drove from London to the Scottish highlands last summer!
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    40k miles for a set of budget discs and pads is good. How many miles did you expect them to last?
    Especially when 13,000 of those miles were for multidrop deliveries.
  • seatbeltnoob
    edited 18 January 2022 at 6:59PM
    Options
    yeah I guess 40k isnt too bad, since I'm doing the pads and discs myself, it's only £50 to me.

My gripe is that I've always done 2 sets of pads for a set of discs. But these discs have fully worn down with the pads which was surprising.
  • Bigwheels1111
    Options
    I found in the past that the cheaper the discs the longer they lasted.
    I like Textar or ATE myself, good and hard wearing.
  • seatbeltnoob
    Options
    Update on this.

Eicher are bad.

Braking performance, honestly dont know, they seem just fine. But I rarely exceed the speed limit and drive with plenty of distance ahead so I'm not slamming on the brakes hard. For a commuter car I would suggest they are fine for performance.

They are no longer worth fitting for me because their prices are only a tiny bit cheaper than pagid or ate, and these dont seem to last!.

2 years since fitting these as per ^^. The pads seem just fine, but the discs have a lip on them.

It's the same story with wifes car, it failed mot because discs are pitting and scoring, but the pads were fine.

This is quite unusal for me because normally 1 do, pad + discs, and then the pads wear down so do pad only change, and then back to pad & discs.

this is quite unusual that the discs go before the pads.

They used to be so cheap before that it was worth DIY fitting them as you can chnage them yourself. But the MOT placed really screwed me. They put eicher pads and discs on my wifes car.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback