edited 17 January at 2:56PM in Student Money Saving
3 replies 113 views
qwertyKqwertyK Forumite
44 Posts
10 Posts Name Dropper
Forumite
edited 17 January at 2:56PM in Student Money Saving

Hi there,

This is a complex case but the university have been very difficult to deal with, I can't even call them up instead having to go through a live chat, so this is my last resort before lodging an appeal or considering legal action.

I had to withdraw from university in October/November 2021. It was my first year and I withdrew on medical grounds because I got ill from pneumonia, and my leturers said I'd find it very difficult to catch on based on the time I missed out.

However, I found out that according to he university I was still a student. Even though I told them I withdrew by submitting a form. Yet they still assumed I was still living there because I didn't tell the staff there. (on the day we moved we couldn't find any staff and weren't even told to tell them).

This was the start of the new year by this point. We were told to submit yet another letter of withdrawal, which we did. Now Notts have got back to me and they tell me I owe them £4.7K. This is an absolutely insane amount for what literally amounted to barely a month staying there.

They say this is due to terms and conditions but on the website it says differently https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/accommodation/current-students/request-to-terminate-licence.aspx

What is going on?? The live chat people are no disrespect, useless. I need to speak to an actual person rather than just going back and forward on emails or chatrooms. This is not fair that I should pay basically £5 grand for a few weeks stay. The withdrawl was for medical grounds so this should be taken into account.

Thanks

Replies

• zx81zx81 Forumite
    35K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    What period does the £4.7k represent?  It's not for a few weeks stay, but for a longer period, depending on when they consider you withdrew.
  • tehonetehone Forumite
    630 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    Where you living in applicable University accommodation of more general student accommodation via a third party

[quote]The following information only applies to students who hold a Licence with the University of Nottingham; if you hold a licence with another accommodation provider different policies and guidelines will apply, please contact your accommodation provider direct for further information.

Hall Leaver Policy and Procedure 

1. This Policy applies only to those students of the University of Nottingham who have entered into a licence agreement with the University that allows them to occupy rooms on University Park, Jubilee Campus, and in Dagfa and Varsity.
    2. This Policy does not apply to students living in any accommodation other than that listed above.[/quote]
  • qwertyKqwertyK Forumite
    44 Posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    zx81 said:
    What period does the £4.7k represent?  It's not for a few weeks stay, but for a longer period, depending on when they consider you withdrew.
    This is the problem. According to them this is up to the 1st Feb based on the fact they got the 2nd withdrawal letter on the 4th Jan. I sent them a withdrawal letter in November and they claim to have not found it. I have proof of its submission so its their fault I am essentially paying for. (this is what the live chat person said - that its up to the 1st feb i am paying for). The person in the email appeared to indicate that I'm paying for an entire year.