fuzzyfacealice Posts: 7 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 17 January 2022 at 7:51PM in Phones & TV
Post deleted

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    It would be exactly as it is now except you will be a few quid better off a month. 

make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • littleboo
    littleboo Posts: 1,495 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Do you have broadband? If so, with who and how is it delivered?
  • cx6
    cx6 Posts: 1,176 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    These days, a landline it typically used to deliver calls and internet (broadband)

Calls are easy - cancel the landline and use a mobile phone - a lot of contracts have unlimited minutes.

Internet is more tricky. It depends what you use it for. You can get data on the mobile phone and use it there, and even use that data on your laptop by connecting your laptop to the phone. You will have to analyse your internet usage and see if you can live without a landline.

I have not had a landline for about 12 years now. I use my mobile phone for all calls, texting and internet access.
  • littleboo said:
    I have fibre broadband delivered by BT
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,555 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    We have Fibre to the cabinet(also from BT) and the last bit comes via traditional wire. We therefore need the telephone line until we have FTTC. We have cancelled the call package and use our mobiles for calls.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    littleboo said:

That is delivered over what you call the landline and you pay rental charges .So you do use your landline even if you dont phone .
  • JJ_Egan said:
    littleboo said:

That is delivered over what you call the landline and you pay rental charges .So you do use your landline even if you dont phone .
    I know that JJ_Egan. My OP should of been clearer. I have edited it. 
  • Sandtree
    Sandtree Posts: 10,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I never use my landline and would like to cancel it. What are the pros and cons of not having a landline?
    Pro is you remove the cost, con is that you may lose your BB if its delivered over the phoneline and there can be exit fees if you are still within a minimum contract period plus telling anyone you gave the number to that it doesnt exist any more.

BT do now offer a Broadband only option even if that physically uses the phoneline for part of it; not sure if others that use the Openreach infrastructure have similar options or if it locks you into the one provider going forward.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback