PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Home Information Packs.

Options
HELP!!! I’m planning on selling my house and I’ve got some great info to help me beat the estate agents down on the price of their fees. I have looked but I cant find anything on this site about H.I.P’s. Some estate agents include them in with their fees, others sell them separately, and they are all priced differently. Is there a set price? Can I arrange to have my own H.I.P done? Any info or advice will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Evee2000
    Evee2000 Posts: 217 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Hi I can help, and have PM'd you.

Pam
  • Gambler
    Gambler Posts: 3,214 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    HELP!!! I’m planning on selling my house and I’ve got some great info to help me beat the estate agents down on the price of their fees. I have looked but I cant find anything on this site about H.I.P’s. Some estate agents include them in with their fees, others sell them separately, and they are all priced differently. Is there a set price? Can I arrange to have my own H.I.P done? Any info or advice will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Try searching "HIP" there are lots of threads already.
  • dekh
    dekh Posts: 237 Forumite
    Options

You can have your own HIP done. Prices appear to be from about £200.

All you need to start marketing is the reference number you should get from your HIP provider which proves you have ordered a HIP.

I believe there is only one part of the HIP you can't do yourself and that is the EPC, but after you've payed for it and the searches etc. There doesn't seem much point in DIY.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndCommunity/BuyingAndSellingYourHome/Homeinformationpacks/DG_171807

Will show you what's included in a pack.

Avoid having it linked in with either EA fees or conveyancing fees. There is bound to be a tie in or excessive fees somewhere. Read the small print!
    :think:
  • Jorgan_2
    Jorgan_2 Posts: 2,270 Forumite
    Options
    Speak to your local solicitors to see what they can offer with HIPs. They may be more expensive than some of the on-line companies but they will be using the correct searches. Trading Standards recently investigated HIPs at a number of Birmingham EA's and found many contained the wrong the searches. Another advantage of paying for your own HIP, rather than one via an agent is that you own the HIP and if you change agents, there is no issue over ownership or what fees need to be paid to release you from the EA's contract.
  • dekh
    Options
    Conveyancing charges to sell my modest £150,000 3 bed freehold semi from the company.

Legal Fees £525
    Act for my lovely lender £115
    TT fee £39 - (not presented as a legal fee.)

679 + VAT

= £797.83

Online you can get this for less than 400 inc VAT.

Locally you can expect to pay more (than £400), but you should also get local service.

Judge for yourself whether your HIP is free.

edit
    Spammers offering free HIP deleted. Purpose was to show how much extra you have to pay for your conveyancing if it is tied to a free or bargain HIP.
    /edit
  • nobblyned
    nobblyned Posts: 705 Forumite
    Options
    Nice to see everyone chipping in to help the poster of a year old thread!
  • dekh
    Options
    nobblyned wrote: »
    Nice to see everyone chipping in to help the poster of a year old thread!

You missed the spam offering free Hips. :)
  • nobblyned
    Options
    I saw the spam, it was posted 11 months ago. Was the same guy that's been spamming about HIPS today, found another post through his profile, didn't realise it was 11 months old, mistakenly bumped the thread by posting to report the spam, then deleting my post. Then everyone chipped in to help the OP!

My bad!
  • dekh
    Options
    No bad. Spam gone. Advice on boards. People (like me) probably don't notice the date/time stamp.

It's good that the old link is gone as Google gives lots of credit to sites that receive one way links.

:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family