Should I pay a full years Council Tax?

Hi, any advice would be great. 
I was privately renting for just over 5 years and paying council tax via 10 monthly instalments for the full year. 
I moved into my mortgaged home in December and told my existing Council as my new address fell into a new local authority area. 
I moved on 10th December so had paid my usual monthly payment but they have since asked for a further monthly payment. 
This means I have paid a full years Council Tax for a property I’ve not lived in for 4 months of the tax year. 
Is this right? 
I presume they will have asked the new renter to pay from the date they have moved in so possibly getting two lots of tax for one property. This is only a presumption. 
Any advice or experience would be great thanks. 

Replies

• Torry_QuineTorry_Quine Forumite
    18.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Bake Off Boss!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you've paid a full year but moved out then you will be due a refund. Did you contact the council to tell them when you were no longer liable
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • lincroft1710lincroft1710 Forumite
    15.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As you were renting, your liability for CT will depend on the terms of your tenancy, your liability may not end when you vacate.
  • FrandabFrandab Forumite
    4 Posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I did tell them I was moving home and out of the area so they were informed around 3 weeks before I moved when we got the confirmation date. 

My renting contract was on a monthly rolling basis where I was liable for paying CTax whilst I was a tenant. 

I’ll will contact them again

thank you for your advice 
  • flashg67flashg67 Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    My council never told me when I was due a refund... I had to apply for it. Theyre quick to take it and slow to give it back!