Decisions for home renovation

Hi - we are in the process of renovating our house and currently having to make lots of decisions about things we have never had to think about before! Any thoughts or advice on the following would be much appreciated: 

1. Openings for bay window - it is a 5-window bow window. We are planning to have two openings at the top and two at the bottom. Currently the two at the top are the two windows on the outside and the two on the bottom are the ones inside that (either side of the middle) - would you suggest otherwise or is it just personal preference?
2. New front door - we are having a composite door with two glass side panels either side. Re the size of the cill and threshold - is there any benefit of having a smaller cill or lower threshold? The door is inset an open porch so isn't likely to get very wet, if that makes any difference.
3. Vertical radiators - I understand they do not radiate as much heat as horizontal radiators, so you need to be selective as to how many you have and for which location - is that right? Any advice on this would be great. 
4. Handles for kitchen - we are deciding between the j-pull handless design or having proper handles - I know its mostly preference but one youtube video questioned the durability and practicality of j-pull - has anyone had this experience?

Thanks a lot! 
Tom

Replies

• theonlywayisuptheonlywayisup Forumite
    15.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My take on your questions.

1.  What are the openings like on the rest of that elevation?  Can you quickly sketch the front of your house and then draw the bay windows in various designs and pick the one that you like/and looks best?

2.  I would always have a low threshold door, just makes the whole entry/exit point more pleasing on the eye and you don't think about walking in/out and tripping or catching your foot.  The cill should allow for water to run away from the external finish of your outer leaf.

3. I don't have radiators (UFH) so can't advise on that.

4. I have handle-less doors and much prefer them.  Our units have been in 16 or so years and still looking and working well.  The only thing that has been changed is a damper (the soft close) on one or two. 
  • ChilliBobChilliBob Forumite
    977 Posts
    500 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure what j pull handles are but just choose something that doesn't catch on trouser pockets, or is sharp if you or a child bashes into them!

I'm sitting by a bay window as I type, it has openings top and bottom on the side windows only. I think you will find thaf more common. If I had other opening windows or alternative I think just the top ones above the main, I think opening the 'main' windows at the bottom would be odd, but that's just because of what I'm used to! 
  • takay9takay9 Forumite
    21 Posts
    10 Posts
    Thanks both. We are also having new windows fitted and some of the old air bricks have been blocked up (1930s house) so I decided they should have trickle vents to add some background ventilation in lieu of the air bricks, does that seem sensible?
  • DoozergirlDoozergirl Forumite
    32.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    takay9 said:
    Thanks both. We are also having new windows fitted and some of the old air bricks have been blocked up (1930s house) so I decided they should have trickle vents to add some background ventilation in lieu of the air bricks, does that seem sensible?
    Yes, they should have trickle vents as a matter of course. 

Airbricks where?  Above floor level? 
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • takay9takay9 Forumite
    21 Posts
    10 Posts
    Yes just under the ceiling. 
  • edited 12 January at 12:26PM
    DoozergirlDoozergirl Forumite
    32.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 12 January at 12:26PM
    takay9 said:
    Yes just under the ceiling. 
    Yes, as long as there isn't a fire in the room, but even then you could install something smaller at lower level.  

Those big ones are truly massive.  
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.