Money Moral Dilemma: Should my mates pay me back for Glastonbury tent booking?

Options
MSE_Kelvin
MSE_Kelvin Posts: 345 MSE Staff
First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

In 2019, me and my mates booked tickets for Glastonbury 2020, as well as a pre-erected tent on the site. With the festival being cancelled two years running, we could either roll our booking over to this year or get a full refund on the tickets, tent, or both. I've decided I no longer want to go, so I've got my ticket reimbursed and asked my mates to either pay me for my share of the tent, or cancel it and book a smaller one. But they've refused, saying that I made a commitment.

Unfortunately the MSE team can't answer Money Moral Dilemma questions as contributions are emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be a point of debate and discussed at face value. Remember that behind each dilemma there is a real person so, as the forum rules say, please keep it kind and keep it clean.

B) If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
:/ Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Suggest an MMD.

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,690 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How much are we talking about?
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Claddagh_Noir
    Options
    HMMM... I agree with Lincroft it depends on how much you are set to lose.  But at the same time, seen as you are no longer going, if they cannot get a smaller tent you may as well cut your losses. 
  • london21
    london21 Posts: 2,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Could damage friendship relationship.
    If small amount just let it go.
    otherwise maybe attend.
  • efftaa
    Options
    If you’ve paid your friends to book you a place in the shared tent and then you’ve backed out,  maybe you should’ve tried / still have time to find someone else to replace you before cancelling? Difficult one really - I feel your pain as someone who has been left with spare gig tickets due to flakey friends. 
    On the other side - you’ve learnt a valuable lesson, they’re not really your friends if they won’t go through the admin of swapping a booking (assuming they can?) and would rather fleece you for the extra space they get. 
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,900 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 January 2022 at 10:21PM
    Options
    This has been posted before in another bit of the forum. 
    Just to save us all repeating ourselves.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6311474/i-want-to-cancel-a-group-booking-but-my-group-doesnt-want-to

As posted, this is missing some extremely relevant information about the tent booking terms and conditions.

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • 42shades
    Options
    With Glastonbury, as you know, you can’t find someone to fill your space. You committed to the tent and it was budgeted with your mates so why should they have to pay extra for you backing out? I know the tents aren’t cheap there but if you were going and some one else backed out what would you have we done? And giving up your Glasto ticket??? Why????  
  • REJP
    REJP Posts: 325 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I don't understand.   OP says he/she has had a refund of ticket price.  All of it or just his/her share?
    insufficient information on this "dilemma."  Tell friends to rebook, and if that destroys friendship be thankful OP is not going to be in a muddy field in a tent with them.  Easy enough to explain situation to organisers who could probably provide a smaller tent, or even let them have original at a reduced price.
  • Louispastrami
    Options
    How much is this friendship worth to you? If you're going to resent them then you're not much of a friend. You made a comm then you made a unilateral decision to dump the commitment.  
  • cjc178
    cjc178 Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 11 January 2022 at 11:32PM
    Options
    Why when you got your ticket refunded didn't you get a refund on the tent too? You must have realised that even if your friends still went that the tent was now too big for them. They could then have rebooked a tent if and when they decided if they were going and got a smaller one to suit their needs. As you didn't do this I'm not sure how you are going to get the money back and keep a friendship with your friends. So if it's not a large amount of money is it worth losing friends over?
    :Tcjc178:beer:
  • Donnakou
    Options
    Nah, you should go to Glasto.. with your mates!  If you have a bona fide reason not to go then at least don't quibble about them paying you back a portion of the tent, goodness!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback