paypal buyer protection semantics

Just a word of warning to everyone on here about paypal buyer protection policy.

I took advantage of an offer on social media, paying with paypal, to buy some items that were offered as buy 5 get 3 free, so expected to receive 8. I only received 5. Contacted the seller to ask about the 3 free. Was told, in broken english, your order was for 5 there is no claim to compensate. Raised a case though paypal, seller offered a minimal refund. Refused that offer and asked for something nearer 3/8th of what I'd paid. No reply, emails to seller bounced back as undeliverable. Escalated case with paypal. Initial response was "we do not consider it materially different to what was advertised". Wasn't happy with that since the advert said you'd receive 8. Complained again to paypal and they said "buyer protection does not cover any freebies or promotional items" .
So a seller can con you in to making a purchase with a promotional offer, not deliver the offer, and paypal buyer protection doesn't cover you.  Caveat emptor. let the buyer beware.     

Comments

• liggerz87
    liggerz87 Posts: 383
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I don't trust PayPal either I bough from cd keys FIFA 20 at the used PayPal got the code but I couldn't redeem it so git in touch with cd keys and they didn't say or do anything then got in touch with PayPal I opened a wrong dispute they sided with cd keys then I opened the right dispute yet they sided with cd keys again I ended up getting a refund through bank charge back I should have just spent the extra 8 quid and bought direct from the Xbox store so now I avoid cd keys and PayPal
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,595
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    liggerz87 said:
    I don't trust PayPal either I bough from cd keys FIFA 20 at the used PayPal got the code but I couldn't redeem it so git in touch with cd keys and they didn't say or do anything then got in touch with PayPal I opened a wrong dispute they sided with cd keys then I opened the right dispute yet they sided with cd keys again I ended up getting a refund through bank charge back I should have just spent the extra 8 quid and bought direct from the Xbox store so now I avoid cd keys and PayPal
    Whats "at the used Paypal" ?

Fifa 20, why not Fifa 22 ?
  • Azari
    Azari Posts: 4,317
    Forumite
    DCFC79 said:
    liggerz87 said:

He obviously means 'and used'.

Surely you could have worked that out for yourself.
    There are two types of people in the world: Those that can extrapolate information.
  • cannugec5
    cannugec5 Posts: 403
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Azari said:
    DCFC79 said:
    liggerz87 said:

I thought it was “as” they used PayPal - making it the main reason for using that particular retailer. 
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,595
    Forumite
    Azari said:
    DCFC79 said:
    liggerz87 said:

Maybe yes but it was evening, id been working all day so I wasnt exactly 100%.
  • DCFC79 said:
    liggerz87 said:

Was a few years ago you'll see I posted on praise vent warning 
  • fifa 21 sorry not 20
  • Azari said:
    DCFC79 said:
    liggerz87 said:

Thank you I'm dyslexic which is a pain
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure