Giving character reference via work email

Options
2»

Comments

• Rakushun
    Rakushun Posts: 30 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thank you everyone, I’ll ask permission in writing.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,564 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Jillanddy said:
    TELLIT01 said:
    Where I worked, only HR were authorised to provide references.  If the OP is providing a character reference they need to make it very clear on that reference that it is their personal opinion of the individual - if they are permitted to send it using their work e-mail. 
    I agree. We are allowed to use work emails if we make it clear that we are speaking in a personal capacity; in a professional capacity we can only give references to people we directly manage.

Where I worked we could only give personal references, irrespective of whether the person was a direct report or not.  We could not give any form of work reference.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,205 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Check your Employee handbook, if you have one, and if it doesn't specify then ask HR (or whoever covers that role in your organisation)

Where I work, we have a specific policy that only certain, senior people can provide reference. If you were asked to provide a personal reference then you must make explicitly clear that it is personal and that it may not be provided on our company headed paper or from a company e-mail address (The reason being to ensure that there is no possibility of it being seen as coming from the company or the company being responsible for it)

If it is a personal reference then they shouldn't need it to be from your work address
    If they are relying on you in your professional / work capacity then you need to clear it with HR or whoever normally deals with references for your company/ employer
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback