Giving character reference via work email

Options
Hi,

I’ve been asked to give a character reference for someone I used to volunteer with, they are needing it to be from my work email address, can I get in trouble for using my email this way?

Comments

• Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 7 January 2022 at 10:20PM
    Options
    Ask your manager in writing for a reply in writing.

Don't do it verbally.
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,741 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Rakushun said:
    Hi,

I’ve been asked to give a character reference for someone I used to volunteer with, they are needing it to be from my work email address, can I get in trouble for using my email this way?
    Why do they 'need' it to come from your work address if your relationship arose while you were both volunteering?
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 7 January 2022 at 10:48PM
    Options
    Who is requesting this reference, a prospective employer or the individual you volunteered with?
    Any reason a reference can't come from the organisation HR dept?
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Are you allowed to use your work email for personal emails? 
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,803 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Be a no in my organisation if your relationship is outside of your current workplace. 
    A personal reference on personal email.
    Have they stretched the truth with regards to the nature of the relationship between you? 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Own_Worst_Enermy
    Options
    I have a good friend of well over 20 years from school who occasionally does 'character' references for me.

He is quite senior in his company, oh I remember spurring him on when he got his 2nd job now of over 20 years back in January 2000.  

He has preferred things to go via his work email address the few times I've had to go to him in last resort. Rather then use his very personal details at times understandably.

I recall there was only one time his work email address could not be used.  It's one ask, I'll know I'll never get to repay.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,496 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Where I worked, only HR were authorised to provide references.  If the OP is providing a character reference they need to make it very clear on that reference that it is their personal opinion of the individual - if they are permitted to send it using their work e-mail. 
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,314 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    If your manager is uncertain, one potential solution might be to suggest to your manager is you write the reference from a personal email and ask your manager about using your work email just to confirm your current employment.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,854 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If your employer allows:
    draft email being clear of how you know the individual and that they do not work in the organisation owning the email address;
    ask your manager whether they would like to see the draft;
    send if OK.

• Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,865 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 8 January 2022 at 9:38AM
    Options
    Rakushun said:
    Hi,

With some employers you could get in big trouble doing this without specific permission!

Others would be more relaxed but even if you are sure yours is in that category I would still exercise caution. Make it very clear that you are not writing on behalf of the company and that the person does not (?) work for the company.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback