Self-employed or a high earner? Don't miss 31 January self-assessment tax return deadline

Options
If you're one of the millions of taxpayers still to file their online self-assessment tax return, you've less than a month until the deadline. Here's what you need to do to avoid a £100 fine...

Read the full story here:

Self-employed or a high earner? Don't miss 31 January self-assessment tax return deadline

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply

Comments

• aris
    aris Posts: 339 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 19 January 2022 at 9:02AM
    Options
    It has been extended to end of feb - though you may have to pay interest if you owe money - but no late filing penalty.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/hmrc-gives-self-assessment-taxpayers-more-time-to-ease-covid-19-pressures
  • HappilyNorth
    Options
    I recently signed up for SA and was aware of the deadline of 31/1/22 (good to see it's been extended as per above). However, when I just logged in for the first time I was greeted by:

"Your returns

Tax year 2020 to 2021 is ready to complete and file.

To avoid penalties, you must complete and file the return by 11:59pm on 13 April 2022."

What gives?

• Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,685 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I recently signed up for SA and was aware of the deadline of 31/1/22 (good to see it's been extended as per above). However, when I just logged in for the first time I was greeted by:

"Your returns

To avoid penalties, you must complete and file the return by 11:59pm on 13 April 2022."

What gives?

https://www.gov.uk/self-assessment-tax-returns/deadlines and scroll down to 

When the deadline is different

Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • HappilyNorth
    Options
    Marcon said:

"Your returns

What gives?

https://www.gov.uk/self-assessment-tax-returns/deadlines and scroll down to 

When the deadline is different

Thanks Macron. So they think I'm in a business Partnership? *hard eye rolling*

I tried to claim for back dated marriage allowance a while back but my online application refused to submit. Asked about it on here and some kind soul advised me that after bankruptcy I had to request a new UTR, which I did recently. I used to run a business but am now a self employed driver (not business or sole trader). I assume they think I started another business? 

I'll just file my personal return by 31st Jan and let them figure it out.   
  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Options

"Your returns

What gives?

You always get 3 months to file a return so presumably the notice asking you to file the return wasn't issued until earlier this month.

Meaning you have until April to file the return.  Any tax owed has to be paid by 31 January as normal to ensure interest isn't charged.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback