We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

happihorse's journey to mortgage freedom and contentment…

Options
1101112131416»

Comments

• happihorse
    happihorse Posts: 182 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well done re weightloss. You've achieved in 3 months what the average SW person takes a year over. Don't knock yourself.
    Thanks savingholmes - when you put it like that I have done quite well really.  o:)  Thanks for the insight!  I keep an eye on your diary too (although it moves very fast so I do struggle to read every post) but you are doing really well too.
  • happihorse
    Options
    Excellent work getting back on the horse, so pleased for you 😀😀😀
    Thanks South_coast - I am so very happy being able to ride again.  :smiley:  I should never have left it so long!
  • happihorse
    edited 15 July 2022 at 6:12PM
    Options
    I seem to have hit a bit of a rut recently.  :(  Nothing really in the grand scheme of things and all totally fixable but feeling a bit meh this evening.  :|

I have fallen off the wagon with diet quite badly.  Been eating way too much junk this last week or so and have actually gained a couple of pounds.  :o  I couldn't face Slimming World this week so missed it.  Still doing a daily walk of about 3 miles so getting plenty of exercise but feel really bad about the diet.  Main thing is that I recognise it now and will put it right from tomorrow onwards.  Should be able to get back on track for the next weigh in on Thursday.  I will be back on plan from tomorrow onwards.  :*

The other area that has gone a bit pear shaped is money.  I am spending far too much and going to have quite a chunk left on the credit card or overdraft this month.  :o  Don't think I can sustain the increased mortgage and pension overpayments so will need to reduce the former.  But also really need to rein in my spending.  Think I will spend some time this weekend looking at my credit card statement and seeing where I can save.  I need a better budget and to get back to weekly shopping and meal planning.  That should rectify a huge chunk of the over-spending.
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,886 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Do you know what triggered the over-eating and over-spending spiral? Has there been a stressor? Is there something else that needs fixing that these things are just a symptom of? Or have you just set too aggressive a target for yourself?

I only ask as it is something I'm often guilty of.

LOL at struggling to keep up with my diary. Ironically I don't tend to follow people that have too many posts in a day ;) I am now at a stone lost but seem to be over-eating this week. I had covid a week ago - and am still not back to normal.
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 234 payments to go - now £181,773 Equity 27.3%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £13.45K
    3) CC £8K on 0% spends card but offset by £34.3K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £11.3K/£127.5K AVC target 8.97% value at 15/7//24
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
    6) SIPP £4.3K at 12/7/24
  • Cornish_mum
    Cornish_mum Posts: 640 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi Happi, just wanted to wave and say spending has been up for us too and my diet is an absolute disaster. Hope you have a great day today CM
  • happihorse
    Options
    Do you know what triggered the over-eating and over-spending spiral? Has there been a stressor? Is there something else that needs fixing that these things are just a symptom of? Or have you just set too aggressive a target for yourself?

I only ask as it is something I'm often guilty of.

LOL at struggling to keep up with my diary. Ironically I don't tend to follow people that have too many posts in a day ;) I am now at a stone lost but seem to be over-eating this week. I had covid a week ago - and am still not back to normal.
    Hi savingholmes!

Well done on the weight loss - that's great going.  You must be starting to feel the difference now.

That's an interesting question about why.  I don't think there is one specific reason why.  I allowed myself the odd treat which became a day off plan which became not following it at all.  The spending is a similar story.  I don't think the diet is unsustainable but I am starting to think the financial part probably is.  The mortgage and pension overpayment arrangements leave me with very little each month (although I still need to massively rein in the spending).
  • happihorse
    Options
    Hi Happi, just wanted to wave and say spending has been up for us too and my diet is an absolute disaster. Hope you have a great day today CM
    Hi Cornish_mum - good to know I am not alone but must get back on track now and hope you can too.
  • happihorse
    Options
    Wow - it's been a hot one today and same forecast for tomorrow I believe.  B)  Got up super early to get my walk done and planning the same for tomorrow.  

I spent some time over the weekend doing a big food shop and meal prepping.  I now have a weekly meal plan and all the healthy ingredients I need to make it so I won't be going food shopping until next weekend.  That should help both the diet and the purse!   o:)

Went riding again at the weekend which was fantastic.  It's also good motivation to get back on track with the diet.

Hope everyone has a good week.  :)
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,886 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Glad you got the ride again. 

Good that you know you can adjust both your budget and your diet as needed.
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 234 payments to go - now £181,773 Equity 27.3%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £13.45K
    3) CC £8K on 0% spends card but offset by £34.3K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £11.3K/£127.5K AVC target 8.97% value at 15/7//24
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
    6) SIPP £4.3K at 12/7/24
  • South_coast
    Options
    Hey happihorse, how's it going?
    Mortgage start: £65,495 (March 2016)
    Cleared 🧚‍♀️🧚‍♀️🧚‍♀️!!! In 5 years, 1 month and 29 days
    Total amount repaid: £72,307.03. £1.10 repaid for every £1.00 borrowed

Finally earning interest instead of paying it!!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.9K Life & Family
  • 249.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback