IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Car Parking Partnership

Hi, looking for some advice with regards to a parking fine my son received incorrectly from the Car Parking Partnership. My son got a letter with a picture of his registration obviously from ANPR saying he had parked in the Princess Alexandra Hospital in Harlow and he had to pay a fine. We live in Scotland and my son has never been to Harlow and has never even driven to England. He phoned DVLA to inform them his registration number was being used on another vehicle, however DVLA weren’t interested and told him to phone Police Scotland, who understandably weren’t interested either. He ignored the letter and he is now getting letters from DCBL threatening him with legal action. My understanding is this isn’t enforceable in Scotland, can anyone advise if this is correct and if he should continue to ignore all the letters. It’s very frustrating as his registration number appears to have been cloned or it may be an error by the driver of the car who did actually park in the hospital car park, however he is now being chased for a debt he never incurred!!

Comments

• Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,258
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Do you have a copy of the original Notice to Keeper?  Can you distinguish the car shown on it from your son's?

You are correct in your understanding of the position in Scotland - no keeper liability (although this will change at some point in 2022, but not retrospective). 
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Trainerman
    Trainerman Posts: 1,240
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 31 December 2021 at 11:22AM
    Police Scotland do have different procedures but I think it is still worth getting back to them. Unless the comms op made a mistake and just closed it off, there should at least be an incident number. If there isn't, I would re-report and at least get that incident number. This should help protect you from future rogue behaviour by this clone car. Eventually, you may get a crime number which is even better.

I would also lean on DVLA. They should be taking note.

Edit to add....might well be worth putting both above in writing.
  • D_P_Dance
    D_P_Dance Posts: 11,496
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    ... told him to phone Police Scotland, who understandably weren’t interested either. 

Have you sent a formal complaint in writing to the Chief Constable copied to your MP?  . 
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Trainerman
    Forumite
    D_P_Dance said:
    ... told him to phone Police Scotland, who understandably weren’t interested either. 

Have you sent a formal complaint in writing to the Chief Constable copied to your MP?  . 
    I endorse that. Good idea. The more pressure, the better
  • Thanks for the replies so far, I probably should have also mentioned that my sons car was written off after someone T boned him and this happened shortly after he started receiving the letters so he no longer has the car in question therefore he won’t get any further incorrectly sent parking fines from someone in England
  • Trainerman
    Forumite
    Understood. Further claims would certainly prove to DVLA that the car was cloned ! 
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,258
    Forumite
    Dov21 said:
    Thanks for the replies so far, I probably should have also mentioned that my sons car was written off after someone T boned him and this happened shortly after he started receiving the letters so he no longer has the car in question therefore he won’t get any further incorrectly sent parking fines from someone in England
    Did you miss my questions in my previous post?
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084
    Forumite
    edited 31 December 2021 at 12:18PM
    Dov21 said:
    Thanks for the replies so far, I probably should have also mentioned that my sons car was written off after someone T boned him and this happened shortly after he started receiving the letters so he no longer has the car in question therefore he won’t get any further incorrectly sent parking fines from someone in England
    It's a reasonable assumption , but no guarantees that it cannot happen again , parking companies issue false claims regularly , my brother received one that wasn't his vehicle , for Perth , he has never been to Perth

These companies have 6 years to issue old claims ( 5 in Scotland ) , which they do daily

Never say never
  • Umkomaas said:
    Dov21 said:
    Did you miss my questions in my previous post?
    Apologies, unfortunately he doesn’t have the original notice to keeper as he threw all the letters out. However I do remember the picture on the letter of is supposed car and whilst it was the same registration number, the picture was taken in the dark so it’s hard to see what vehicle the number is on
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 130,661
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 31 December 2021 at 2:28PM
    So they have enhanced it wrongly.

He must respond and stop using the phone to try to resolve this.  You can't sort things like this out by phone, you have no proof or paper trail.  Things like this must be in writing.

Two simple emails to the DVLA and to CPP are needed.  The 5th post of the NEWBIES thread provides the DVLA complaint emails.

Forget Police Scotland, this is not a cloned car situation, it's an enhanced ANPR misread by CPP who had no business to get his DVLA data.  Complaints all round, in writing (emails) and it's gone.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback