Home Ins- Are concrete blocks - bricks?

Buying a new build house, built by one of the big developers. The outside wall "outer leaf" is made of "100 solid concrete blocks" it will then be rendered.

Trying to get estimates for home insurance quotes for when it ready early next year.

Every insurance company (website or call) asks is it made of brick or concrete etc... By concrete they mean the industrial way concrete poured into a steel frame.

In my case it is standard construction except each "brick" is made of  concrete, instead of clay,  is it ok to say the house is brick construction?

Any advice much appreciated.

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,259 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Every insurance company (website or call) asks is it made of brick or concrete etc... By concrete they mean the industrial way concrete poured into a steel frame.
     No they do not mean that.  Steel frame concrete construction is non-standard for housing.  A number of concrete types are not.   However, breeze blocks (often used as breeze block interior part brick and part render outer) is standard construction.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • dunstonh said:
     No they do not mean that.  Steel frame concrete construction is non-standard for housing.  A number of concrete types are not.   However, breeze blocks (often used as breeze block interior part brick and part render outer) is standard construction.
    Thanks, just to clarify the outer wall is solid concrete blocks, which will be rendered there is a cavity wall etc as per normal. There are no clay bricks. So when asked what are the walls made off, is it bricks or concrete. Spoke to 2 insurance companies this morning both weren't sure and got 2 different answers! Can't find technical guidance on website or anyone else to speak to. Surely there must be thousands of houses made like this.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback