Suspended student due to health issues

Hi all I am new to the forum, so any advice really appreciated here! My story is this...I was at the start of my 2nd year studying Physiotherapy at university (as a mature student) and unfortunately I was diagnosed with breast cancer in October 2021. I was hoping to just take some time off and return in January, but I have missed too much content so I had to suspend my studies. I had to have an operation, and now I have to have chemotherapy for a few months, so it would be hard to get a job. 

As I was studying Physiotherapy (BSc) I had the maximum student loan, and the NHS bursary which gave me £13,382 per year, which allowed me to do this course. I live with my husband and he is self-employed, but we do have a lot of debt we are steadily repaying, and now having no income is really hard for me. I got the 60 day allowance from Student Loans for suspending for health reasons, so I have just been given £1031, but that is it. NHS bursaries have no support for me, and say I will be back on their system when I intend to return in September 2022 all being well (it should be).

It did say in the Student Loans email that I could ask for more financial support from them, but I do not know where to start, or what I might be entitled to. I really could do without this worry right now as I start chemotherapy next week.

Thanks all and Happy New Year to everyone :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback