Motorhoming in the UK

I'm thinking of hiring a motorhome for the first time for a week in June. 

Looking at prices, it's around 1k for the week for one that's suitable for me and the family. I can find a nice place for less than that, so for it to be worthwhile, I want to make use of the 'mobile-ness' of it!

What I'm concerned about is how restrictive the motorhome will be . I.e. Struggling down single lane tracks, unable to get into car parks due to height restriction or motorhomes not being allowed, tricky to pop to the shops etc.

Anyone have any advice on how much of a faff motorhoming is? We're going with two young children, so don't want to spend all our time driving to find a car park we can fit in! Towing/taking a small car with us is not an option. 

I'm based in the South of England, so will likely be going around Dorset, Somerset, Wales or maybe up to the Peak District. 

Comments

• Hmmm with two young children and when you add in the cost of additional insurance, fuel, site fees etc etc which could easily double your outlay my advice would be to spend the money on a nice self catering place near a beach.

But each to their own
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,519 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Decide where you want to go and set a route, bearing in mind a week isn't long if you don't want to spend every day covering the miles, but if you don't want to cover the miles whats the point of hiring a motorhome?

With two young children a static caravan may be a better option.  It is still an adventure for them and if the weather is poor you do at least have some space to keep them entertained.  Also far cheaper, check air bnb as there are static caravans in all sorts of unusual places, not just on huge parks with row after row of caravans.

If weather is good you can still cover decent distances on day trips if you want to see other things.
  • carly
    carly Posts: 1,414 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Probably not worth doing, and I speak as someone who has owned motorhomes in the recent past.  Site fees can be very expensive in popular holiday areas, especially those with amenities and facilities which appeal to children. Narrow lanes can be problematic for novice motorhome drivers and many seaside resorts have height barriers on their conveniently situated car parks. You may have to park a good walk from your destination.  The UK is not really motorhome friendly in season, a static caravan or holiday cottage rental( with running water etc) is a lot easier with a young family. Maybe do it for a weekend first to see if you like it. 
  • ……or buy a tent?

kids love camping holidays.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    If you do hire one learn how to reverse it before you go.

I lived in an area where motorhomes became popular and the majority of drovers could not reverse the motorhome successfully. They panicked when they met someone on a single track road and had to reverse to a passing place. 

They had no idea how wise the motorhome was and regularly damaged wing mirrors passing other vehicles. My local garage kept a supply of repalcements.
  • fimonkey
    fimonkey Posts: 1,238 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    East Bournemouth Clifftop (Southbourne) has free parking. Quite a few motor homes take up the spaces and stay for weeks on end in the Summer. Especially at the time of the Bournemouth air festival which is also free (get there a few days before to secure your spot). - Assume your motor home would have a shower and toilet? If no showers then 2 miles from Southbourne there is the Littledown sports centre (they have waterslides, and kid sessions in summer), you could pay for a swim and use the showers there.

Last year there were also tonnes of arable fields in the south west of the New Forest (Homlsley/Bransgore/Burton) that turned into reasonably cheap pop up campsites. Absolutely no amenities whatsoever other than festival type toilets and showers. Be a good place for a camper van.

Finally a few of my friends have stayed in Dartmoor and Exmoor - but they have moved on every night and not sure its that suitable for little ones

Good luck!
  • DE_612183
    DE_612183 Posts: 1,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    take a look at this forum:
    https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    PledgeX2 said:
    I'm thinking of hiring a motorhome for the first time for a week in June. 

Looking at prices, it's around 1k for the week for one that's suitable for me and the family. I can find a nice place for less than that, so for it to be worthwhile, I want to make use of the 'mobile-ness' of it!

What I'm concerned about is how restrictive the motorhome will be . I.e. Struggling down single lane tracks, unable to get into car parks due to height restriction or motorhomes not being allowed, tricky to pop to the shops etc.

Anyone have any advice on how much of a faff motorhoming is? We're going with two young children, so don't want to spend all our time driving to find a car park we can fit in! Towing/taking a small car with us is not an option. 

I'm based in the South of England, so will likely be going around Dorset, Somerset, Wales or maybe up to the Peak District. 
    Prep your next day would be good here, research which car parks would be suitable for a M/Home, from my experience maybe choose a car park on the outskirts of the town, larger car park and no height restrictions.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback