De Walt disappointment

Options
I bought a De Walt drill set from Screwfix on the 27th November as a Christmas present for my wife to give me. I opened it today but when I tried to register for the 3 year extended warranty I couldn’t as this had to be done within 4 weeks of purchase.

I wrote to explain this and got a fairly snotty reply from De Walt customer service basically saying it was my fault and there is nothing they could do about it. This information is not made known until you open the sealed drill set. 

Strangely enough, something similar happened with a Bosch tool and they immediately extended the warranty on my item. 

I’m not very impressed with De Walt customer service and the loss of 2 year’s warranty. 
Any information given in my posts or replies is intended to be of interest and/or help to members of the forum. I cannot guarantee that this is accurate or up to date.

Comments

• greyteam1959
    Options
    Why not return it to Screwfix & buy another one then register that for the warranty ??
    Outfits like Screwfix & Toolstation are usually very good at accepting returns.
    I personally would not bother about the warranty probably not worth the paper it's written on.

• vigman
    vigman Posts: 1,377 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why not return it to Screwfix & buy another one then register that for the warranty ??
    Outfits like Screwfix & Toolstation are usually very good at accepting returns.
    I personally would not bother about the warranty probably not worth the paper it's written on.

Thanks. I did think of that, but the exact model is no longer available and the current value equivalent has lower rated Li-ion batteries. 

Rather annoying also that there is no way of knowing the details of the time limited registration until opening the product. 
    Any information given in my posts or replies is intended to be of interest and/or help to members of the forum. I cannot guarantee that this is accurate or up to date.
  • SebC
    SebC Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Please correct me if I'm wrong but in the UK, certain stuff is covered for up to 6 years after manufacture as long as it's not deemed as general wear and tear or misuse, if they won't accept the registration, can you not just send a proof of purchase and the date purchased with the date of manufacture to DeWalt and then if it breaks you have an agreed date of purchase with them for any claims.

Would this work?
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    SebC said:
    Please correct me if I'm wrong but in the UK, certain stuff is covered for up to 6 years after manufacture as long as it's not deemed as general wear and tear or misuse, if they won't accept the registration, can you not just send a proof of purchase and the date purchased with the date of manufacture to DeWalt and then if it breaks you have an agreed date of purchase with them for any claims.

Would this work?

Mostly not.

After 6 months, you have to show that the product was inherently faulty at the time it was sold to you. That means you have to obtain an independent report.

Even then, there is no expectation that everything will last 6 years.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Its wrong in essence as the six years is not covered as poster says for up to six years .
    The six years is the timescale to take to court .
    Warranty is subject to any terms and conditions they want and is not your Consumer Rights under the law .
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback