Disposable Debit Cards like Revolut

Options
This is a redux of this post "Virtual/Disposable Credit Cards" (can't post links), which got derailed by people questioning the very concept of it, and arguing over words like debit, credit and prepaid cards.

So, ignoring why someone would want it, are there other Disposable Debit Cards like Revolut? Revolut is like Paypal, in that it's a non-bank you send money to through a sort code and account number. Sometimes it takes a while for money to go there, and like Paypal, it spends 99% of its time empty, with money going through it to my main accounts, or from them to the disposable card. Actually Paypal is empty 100% of the time as Revolut has better fx fees up to £1000. Minimum withdrawal is £1.

It has a (permanent) virtual card issued by Mastercard, and a (temporary) virtual card issued by Visa. It destroys itself once the card is used. I've tried using it twice, and unlike an expired Santander card, it doesn't get charged. The Revolut interface is quite cluttered, but the virtual card interface is clean enough. It's app only, and once used, an animation shows the old card going away and a new one replacing it. Not sure if there's a limit on how many cards you can use.

With the background explained, I'm looking for something similar, but preferably for Mastercard. Don't know if it's due to fees, but some places only take it, or ask for more when paying with the option of both. Revolut's idea is surprisingly rare. Privacy dot com is US-only. EcoPayz says there's an activation fee of £1.50 per card, monthly limit, inactivity fee, and it's only offered at "silver" level and above. "ecoVirtualcard Guide: All about our virtual prepaid card".

NetSpend has 6 cards and very little data. It's bundled with a pre-paid debit card. I'll only use a card I can add money to and take money from. Revolut is exactly what I need, so I'm looking for backup alternatives and Mastercard users. This isn't theoretical. I'm only here because I met an online merchant described in the paragraph above. With the glacial speed the Big 6 modernise at, something I noticed when trying Monzo and Starling, I don't expect them to have this feature anytime soon.

Comments

• penners324
    penners324 Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Chase uk can be used in this but is a Current account.

Starling and Monzo (or indeed any bank) can be used the same way.

Revolut is designed to be used like a normal Current account. And is getting a uk bank license 
  • penners324
    penners324 Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    Options
    Or use the virtual card facility in Google Pay 
  • jbrassy
    jbrassy Posts: 680 Forumite
    Options
    If you're looking for an alternative supplier of disposable virtual cards, I am not aware of any others available in the market. 
  • Marcio45
    Marcio45 Posts: 240 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There is also Wize (formelly Transferwise), works similar to Revolut.
  • jbrassy
    jbrassy Posts: 680 Forumite
    Options
    I think what the OP is asking is whether there are any other providers of disposable virtual cards rather than permanent virtual cards of which there are plenty of options.
  • draco1
    Options
    jbrassy said:
    I think what the OP is asking is whether there are any other providers of disposable virtual cards rather than permanent virtual cards of which there are plenty of options.
    Yes. It seems this thread is going the way of the other one. I don't get why the idea is so foreign to people. A permanent virtual card provides no benefits over a physical one, and quite a few downsides.
    jbrassy said:
    If you're looking for an alternative supplier of disposable virtual cards, I am not aware of any others available in the market. 
    That's probably the right answer.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure