We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

M&S out of date meat displayed and sold

Options
1235»

Comments

• JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,713 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Did you throw the meat out? Or did you eat it?

I understand that M&S use by dates are a couple of days earlier than other supermarkets who go right to the wire. 
    Not sure if that's true, but I'm forever buying yellow stickers from M&S and use them a couple of days later. 

I am glad you got it sorted. 

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    M&S should install the same systems that Aldi & Lidl use.
    Produce past it's Use By date is flagged up at the checkout & will not be sold to you.

How does that work? Do they use a different barcode for every date?
  • misimp
    misimp Posts: 51 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    JIL said:

I understand that M&S use by dates are a couple of days earlier than other supermarkets who go right to the wire. 
    Not sure if that's true, but I'm forever buying yellow stickers from M&S and use them a couple of days later. 

No, kept it unopened in the fridge until it was all sorted, by which time it was 4 days out so we binned it

'The boss' is very careful so she wouldn't even open it for the dog :/ e  because the Gov website says it may be 'dangerous'

Still, I can get afford another steak in the new year now :):)
  • Jumblebumble
    Jumblebumble Posts: 1,819 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 27 December 2021 at 12:14PM
    Options
    misimp said:
    JIL said:

No, kept it unopened in the fridge until it was all sorted, by which time it was 4 days out so we binned it

'The boss' is very careful so she wouldn't even open it for the dog :/ e  because the Gov website says it may be 'dangerous'

Still, I can get afford another steak in the new year now :):)
    The reality here is that in the case of a steak you probably eat it 2 weeks over it's use by date with no ill effects and so 1 day over is really not a health and safety issue
    If you bought the steak from the butchers counter in a supermarket  then my understanding is that there would be no requirement for a use  by date
    I agree it is against the law and M and S are in the wrong
    I would not say the same about prawns or chicken
    I speak as someone who drinks raw milk which also has a warning on the bottles that it may be dangerous
    The food standards agency have said they are considering extending these dates from 10 days to 21 days

• Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,142 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 27 December 2021 at 2:23PM
    Options
    I'm a great fan of M&S and have never had this problem, probably because I'm a keen checker of dates while in the shop! I  accept that shops are run by humans, and that mistakes sometimes do happen - I've found a couple of things during my time  (the last being a jar of cooking sauce with a 'popped' lid)  and I've just handed them to the nearest assistant to dispose of.  
    I also use the 'sniff and common sense' approach although, like Jumblebumble, am more wary of fish and poultry. 
    I won't repeat what my late mother, who lived through WW2, thought of 'best by/use by' dates. 
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,403 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I wouldn't use the sniff test on any meat products. There are some nasty organisms that don't smell bad but do poison the food.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure