38 and going to Uni!

Options

Comments

• Mimi_Arc_en_ciel
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies. 

Coffee Machine is nearby! 

In regards to space, at the moment I am WFH but the spaced is temporary. We are looking at re-doing the living room and the plan is to have a set space there. 

Time wise - the class sessions are recorded so if i cannot make a "live" one then that's fine, I can catch up. I currently work 4 days a week so the plan is to use the 5th day when everyone is out the house as my Uni day :) 

I've been told its Harvard referencing - Currently reading up on it! 

Didnt know about google scholar!! THANK YOU 
  • Keep_pedalling
    Options
    kirtondm said:
    Referencing will be the bane of your life - still don't undestand the diffrence between havard style and Cardiff-Havard style!
    Anglia Ruskin University have a really useful page on using Harvard which covers just about every type of source you could think of. I found it really useful when doing my OU degree.

https://library.aru.ac.uk/referencing/harvard.htm
  • katiepoppycat
    Options
    Post it notes for marking useful things in books and textbooks.  I also found these pages really handy for re learning word - as the article says, we've all been using word so long that we don't realise all the cool things it can do now, especially for academic stuff.

https://canvas.hull.ac.uk/courses/616/pages/assessing-your-own-practice

• london21
    london21 Posts: 2,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    kirtondm said:
    Referencing will be the bane of your life - still don't undestand the diffrence between havard style and Cardiff-Havard style!
    Google and YouTube videos are very helpful.
    Also the university also usually have resources on this.

• pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Negotiations about domestic routines and jobs will be crucial. We did that before I started my degree. 
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • becky_rtw
    becky_rtw Posts: 8,389 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I went back at mid 30s to do a masters after over 15 years away. 

Zotero is amazing free software that collates all of your sources into folders and then when you write up essays adds the correct format to the notes and the bibliography (and you can chose Harvard or Cardiff-Harvard). 

Have fun :)
  • Mimi_Arc_en_ciel
    Options
    Sorry for the delay in replies ....Xmas n that! 

Thank you so so much for all the info. I am sure it will help me so much in the future. 

M x
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I started a distance learning course in October.  My university has a lot of great online resources not just for the course but things like how to reference properly, how to write reports, study skills, IT skills.  I'm sure most universities do these days going by the links to Hull and Angela Ruskin online resources already shared here.  Make the most of them is my advice as even though you might already be used to doing something like note taking or report writing there's usually a handy tip or technique you might not have come across before.

Check the system requirements for your computer.  I have an old iMac that cannot run Big Sur and beyond, and I was holding out for the new MacBook to be launched (please don't judge me ;)) and thankfully before I pulled the trigger I checked the system requirements and some of the engineering software I will need won't run on iOS and since Apple took the decision not to support Bootcamp on M1 Macs it would have been a very expensive mistake.  You can run Windows 10 on Arm but it has limitations. 

• TripleH
    TripleH Posts: 3,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Plan a timetable for when you are studying and when you aren't.
    Check in case you have events booked in the future you've forgotten about.
    Remember that you can get into the trap of 'oh we're busy this week so I'll defer my studies until x. This can lead to a downward spiral and get you overwhelmed.
    Having a planner showing when you're working and when you're studying and also when you're free (to minimise risk of burnout).
    Above are from mine, my wife's and a friend's experiences studying whilst working.
    Good luck and here's to a happier 2022 to all.
    May you find your sister soon Helli.
    Sleep well.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport