IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Penalty Charge Notice

Options
Hi, any advice much appreciated. Today I drove into London (Sunday) with my children to go to show.  We drove around for sometime looking for a free parking space as I was aware that parking was free on some ride locations on Sundays. We found a spot on Clifford street, there was no lines, no signs and no obvious reasons why I should not park there. We must have been gone for  less then 3 hours, on returning to the vehicle and on our amazement  we had received a ticket from the City of Westminster for £130 "Parked or loading / unloading  in a restricted street where waiting  and loading /unloading restrictions are in force".  To be honest there was a long line of cars who had received a ticket. The lady behind us was also shocked to receive a ticket and shouted that we should flight it. I walked the street again and couldn't find anything, there was however parking suspension notices the other side of the road, with bays clearly marked.  

Any helps really appreciated on how I should approach this.

Comments

• Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Do you have any photos of the site/area in which the vehicle was parked?
    also the main knowledge base on this forum is on the private parking tickets - pepipoo has a dedicated council parking sub forum : http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showforum=30 you would be better off posting in there as well.
     A few things you will need - an email account that isnt hotmail ( form some )
    photos of the area ( if you have them)
    the front and rear of any ticket - with personal data removed ( ie name/address etc)

Dont be surprised of the initial appeal fails, however you can take things further until, unlike private tickets you get to an independent adjudicator

From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 19 December 2021 at 9:34PM
    Options
    This is not a parking charge notice, as is usually dealt with here but it's a penalty charge notice, issued by the council (ie not a private parking company). There should be some instructions on it somewhere as to how you can appeal.

If you didn't take photos of the area, you should try to take some (without parking for long!) to demonstrate the fact that there were no signs or any apparent restrictions.

I just had a quick google about parking in Westminster and there is so much contradictory information on the internet it's difficult to find out anything useful.

Have a good look through the notice you've been issued and if there's a number to ring, I'd do that tomorrow as all the info I've seen online seems to suggest that parking's free in Westminster on Sundays. But then again, there's info that says parking is free for only for two hours. As I say, contradictory as well as confusing as it's different for different areas and streets.

Although I don't know the area, or indeed London, well at all, I do agree with the lady behind you when she said you should all fight it. Perhaps Westminster needs a boost to its finances for Christmas but that's a lot of money for less than three hours' parking. 

But I'd definitely start with a phone call to find out what they're on about. 

PS I do hope it didn't spoil your day, or your children's, too much. A similar thing happened to me one pre-Christmas time and it's really cruel of them to be so mean!
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Oh, and I forgot to say that when it happened to me, I appealed it straight away and I did get it cancelled. Whether because it was Christmas or they realised that there wasn't adequate signage after all, I'm not sure. But it's well worth a try. Good luck, and a Merry Christmas   :)
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 19 December 2021 at 10:27PM
    Options
    Did you also make sure you paid the £15 Congestion Charge, which I think applies on Sundays now and you have to pay by the end of the day?

Someone will correct me if I am wrong:

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/congestion-charge

Jeez I would never drive into the City of Westminster and expect to find parking.  When my son was at Uni Halls in the Barbican I drove there on a Sunday to collect him in recent years, but only because the Uni halls had free parking with no PPC scammer, and it was before the C charge changed to include Sundays.

PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • KEEGANCARES
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. Yes we paid the congestion charge and ULEZ fee before we travelled.  Normally we would pay for a space in a car park, but we read on the internet about the free parking in Westminster. No signs and no lines, so I guess we thought it would be okay to park. I have got pictures which show no immediate signs.
  • TOP_CAT
    TOP_CAT Posts: 583 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Clifford st or any single meter of road lenght in the west end will be lined/marked and signed .

You stated...

"Clifford street, there was no lines, no signs and no obvious reasons why I should not park"

That statement must be incorrect .

At appeal I wouldnt state the above but perhaps the road signage was ambiguous...... or something like that .
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    But check with pepipoo first, they are the experts, as @Half_way advised you first:

the main knowledge base on this forum is on the private parking tickets - pepipoo has a dedicated council parking sub forum : http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showforum=30 you would be better off posting in there as well.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • fisherjim
    fisherjim Posts: 6,081 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
     There isn't much parking in Clifford Street but If this parking area is up near Saville Row those spaces (about four) were reserved for residents, is the rather small single sign missing?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback