how come im liable for major works bill

Options
my lovely mum died 2020 and was in receipt of PC When she died all works had been completed with major works completed for fire safety works indeed zero charge was raised to confirm this and completion of works . Yet six months Since property has now passed to myself and my two sibling council freeholders are saying we must now pay £5,000 towards cost of major works? How is this fair and can we dispute this. This is not helped that whilst property in London has not sold ongoing towards a year we have no redress for discount on council tax? Any advice would be useful . I understand as there is no outstanding mortgage on late mothers  property there is an option to rent back to HA or indeed council freeholder but is this possible with outstanding charge. I dont necessarily want to contact freeholder myself as I think they prey on peoples predicament so would seek advice from someone who has been in similar situation  

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,710 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If someone owns their own flat in a council/HA block then they can be charged a proportion of the cost of major works. The charge can pass to new flat owner if not paid by the previous owner. 

Reading this may be helpful

https://www.lease-advice.org/files/2016/09/Major-Works-Leaseholder-English.pdf

Regarding the flat not selling, it is often suggested on these boards that the asking price should be reduced
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,761 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 19 December 2021 at 5:10PM
    Options
    The charge will relate to the terms of the lease, there will be no getting out of it. Be careful as failure to pay could result in ownership reverting to the freeholder.

According to a earlier post this property is worth £500,000 so a bill of £5,000 does not sound extortionate or unfair. Council tax is chargeable on it after the 6 months exemption following obtaining probate, and to discourage leaving property empty the rate will increase up to 2 fold if left empty for too long.

if it’s not selling then the selling price is too high, 
  • keith69
    Options
    and the third point I asked?
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,933 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Are you thinking of the guaranteed rent schemes some councils run?
    Those vary between areas so you would need to contact the council/housing association directly to ask how that would work with the property in question. The option is there for landlords generally, if the property is suitable, and is nothing to do with freeholders preying on anyone. 

Is the flat an ex-council one? 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,109 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    According to a earlier post this property is worth £500,000 so a bill of £5,000 does not sound extortionate or unfair.
    And that's £5000 split between 3 people. Although whether the property is actually worth £500,000 is clearly moot. 
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Keep_pedalling
    Options
    Have you actually transferred the property into the beneficiaries names or is it still held within the estate?

• Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,882 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    keith69 said:
    my lovely mum died 2020 and was in receipt of PC When she died all works had been completed with major works completed for fire safety works indeed zero charge was raised to confirm this and completion of works . Yet six months Since property has now passed to myself and my two sibling council freeholders are saying we must now pay £5,000 towards cost of major works? How is this fair and can we dispute this. 
    If extra work needs to be done in the time since she died, then whoever now owns her property inherits the costs and charges along with the property. Is this actually a demand for payment, or a consultation notice (if so, it'll be headed 'Section 20')? Is it fair? Yes, if it's in accordance with the terms of the lease - otherwise other occupants would be subsiding her former property. 

keith69 said:
    This is not helped that whilst property in London has not sold ongoing towards a year we have no redress for discount on council tax? Any advice would be useful . I understand as there is no outstanding mortgage on late mothers  property there is an option to rent back to HA or indeed council freeholder but is this possible with outstanding charge. I dont necessarily want to contact freeholder myself as I think they prey on peoples predicament so would seek advice from someone who has been in similar situation  
    Anything sells at the right price. If you've not sold in a year, talk to the estate agent about dropping the price to a more realistic level.

You need to ask the HA if you can do that, or check the lease. No good relying on other people who have been in a 'similar situation' unless they have the same lease terms. It's unlikely, but without seeing the wording in your lease it's impossible to be certain.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback