🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Credit card cancellation - Credit rating impact?

Options
I got barclays and Debenhams CC and not using for more than year..  if i cancel it, will it impact my credit rating? 
Shortly i am planning to apply for house mortgage, so i don't want any effect on it.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 18 December 2021 at 1:39PM
    Options
    School of thought on utilisation is that having higher % looks bad. Closing old cards can mean a higher utilisation % e.g. £1000 of debt on the cards (until they are paid) out of £5000 credit limit = 20%. Close 2 cards and lose say £3000 of credit and you're now at 50%.
    Holding cards for longer is often seen as a positive though, I'd keep using the cards for a small amount each month and pay off in full - your provider will probably cancel them if you don't use them for much longer so you might not get a choice.
    I wouldn't risk changes to credit history like that before applying for a mortgage and you might need the credit when moving house anyway!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure