After probate ….

Options
I have received an email saying that probate has been approved and that the grant is in the post. 
What do I do now? 
2 beneficiaries sharing the residue. I need to send the grant to one company to get the funds and pay the debts. Then disperse the contents of the will. 
1 beneficiary inheriting the share of the house in the grant ( already owns a share) 
I need to register the property as it isn’t registered and fill I am assent form. 
What I am overthinking is when does the beneficiary become the house owner ? I realise that as soo as The Land registry log the documents, it belongs to the beneficiary but when do I transfer the utilities etc ??? 
When can I start stripping walls ? 😂
thanks 

Comments

• MovingForwards
    Options
    Get the money
    Settle the debts
    Fill in the land registry forms and send them off.

The utilities should have been transferred into your name on death, assuming you live in the property. 

You can make a start on the DIY when the LR forms are signed transferring it to you.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • Nellie15
    Options
    Hi thanks for your reply.  We don’t live at the property. It is empty at the moment. The debts are to me - probate / funeral expenses ( actual funeral has already been paid) etc 
    I am half way through filling in the Land  registery forms so hopefully it will be soon. 
    Thanks again 
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If the property is completely unregistered, general advice is to get first registration done by a solicitor, because there are pitfalls for the unwary. Never having done it myself, I can't speak to what these are, but it is what I would do personally, even though I reckon I'm logical, intelligent and able to complete forms correctly. 
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Savvy_Sue said:
    If the property is completely unregistered, general advice is to get first registration done by a solicitor, because there are pitfalls for the unwary. Never having done it myself, I can't speak to what these are, but it is what I would do personally, even though I reckon I'm logical, intelligent and able to complete forms correctly. 
    I second this.  I did have a go at completing the forms and putting together all the information but decided it just wasn't worth not having the job done properly - I'd rather pay upfront than problems come to light some years down the track.  Same reasoning as having a will professionally written.

• SevenOfNine
    SevenOfNine Posts: 2,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Mojisola said:
    Savvy_Sue said:
    I second this.  I did have a go at completing the forms and putting together all the information but decided it just wasn't worth not having the job done properly - I'd rather pay upfront than problems come to light some years down the track.  Same reasoning as having a will professionally written.

I did it for my mum several years ago, but she was a paperwork hoarder, & had lived there since it was built by the council in 1955. She even had certified A3 sized deeds from when it was  farmland & sold to the council!  She & my dad bought the house from them eventually.

So I had correct papertrail for all that. Also mortgage info, dad's death cert, his Will, change of mortgage to mum & eventual redemption.

I can't say I found it hard to number & list as required by Land Registry, but it was a lot of paperwork & if I hadn't pretty much been handed it all on a plate, with the time & inclination, I'd have used a solicitor.
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
  • Nellie15
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies. The property has a very similar paper trail as the previous post.  Possibly a simpler paper trail as no mortgage and only changed owner once ( through inheritance) 
    Lots to think about. 
    Thanks again 
  • peb
    peb Posts: 1,800 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Tbh you'll need a solicitor or similar for the id1 so as it's unregistered I'd seriously consider appointing one.  Be careful, not all are competent with unregistered land - it's imperative that the documents are listed correctly and that certified copies are provided to HMLR do the originals are retained (a solicitor would do it through the portal so be sure that the originals are returned to you).  The land registry has been going through a spate of losing documents again.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    If becoming sole owner as beneficiary  could have started working on the place as soon as you were ready.
  • Nellie15
    Options
    If becoming sole owner as beneficiary  could have started working on the place as soon as you were ready.
    Thank you all again. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure