Probate

Options
GoonhillyGirl
GoonhillyGirl Posts: 5 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 16 December 2021 at 2:18AM in Deaths, funerals & probate
Hi
My father passed away 7 years ago.
I have paid the council tax, electric and water rates for the 7 years on the property, and expended money maintaining the gardens. How do I reclaim this from the estate when administered ?Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Keep_pedalling
    Options
    I don’t see that you have any right to make such a claim as you have benefited from 7 years of rent free accommodation. Your siblings might say that you actually owe the estate money not the other way round so be careful not to start making demands that could backfire on you.

One of the reasons your sibling is heavily in debt is that they are overdue their inheritance by at least 6 years so you can’t blame them for trying to finally get this sorted out. If you don’t trust them why did you not take on the administration yourself years ago?
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,880 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi
    I have paid the council tax, electric and water rates for the 7 years on the property, and expended money maintaining the gardens. How do I reclaim this from the estate when administered ?Thanks for any advice.
    Council tax is personal to the occupants, so no reclaim there. If you've been living there, you were the one using the utilities, so why would the estate pay for them? If there's no provision in the will (?is there one) to cover this, then it seems reasonable that you should pay them.

Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • Keep_pedalling
    Options
    Marcon said:
    Hi
    Council tax is personal to the occupants, so no reclaim there. If you've been living there, you were the one using the utilities, so why would the estate pay for them? If there's no provision in the will (?is there one) to cover this, then it seems reasonable that you should pay them.

The opening post has been edited, it originally stated that there was no will.
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,880 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 16 December 2021 at 10:15AM
    Options
    Marcon said:
    Hi

The opening post has been edited, it originally stated that there was no will.
    Thanks - annoying when people do that. Makes it much harder to answer helpfully when relevant facts are removed! 
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,947 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Obvious question (perhaps answered in the OP before it was editted) is - why has the estate still not been administered after seven years ?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback