We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Moved home and energy provider wants me to fix - any advice?

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone can give me some advice about how best to deal with British Gas (or just tell me they're acting correctly so get on with it!). 

I've recently moved into a new property. I had a letter from BG to the occupier asking me to register my details online to set up an account. I started to do this but they asked me to choose a tariff. Both options were fixed until 2023 with exit fees of £75 per fuel and wanted me to set up a direct debit of £270 per month. I don't have any usage data yet but based on my last bills this seems enormous even taking into account wholesale price rises. I looked at all of the advice on switching, which is to stick with the standard variable rate for now (which would be approx. £160 per month so still almost twice my previous bill) but this doesn't seem to be an option with them unless I don't provide my details.

I just feel they're forcing me into an expensive fixed agreement over a long period of time with massive exit fees when most other providers are saying sticking with your current rate is the best bet. 

Can they force new customers onto a fixed tariff? Where do I stand not providing my details and just dealing with bills as they come in? - I know I'm liable for the usage anyway but this way it seems they'll leave me on the SVR at least...

Thanks in advance! 

Comments

  • MWT
    MWT Posts: 11,282 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper
    You'll need to phone them to give them your bank details, but insist that they leave you on the standard capped variable tariff.
    If they still will not do it then send in a written complaint.
    Ofgem have been very clear that they have to let you stay on the capped variable rate if that is what you want.
  • doodling
    doodling Posts: 1,385 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 15 December 2021 at 4:26PM
    Hi,

    No, they can't force people who have just moved onto a fixed tariff, but they like to give the impression that that is your only option.

    You can either call them or write to them.

    Personally I would write, some people find that even the people on the phone won't accept you remaining on a variable tariff.

    In the letter provide:
    1. Your details
    2. Your meter readings when you moved in (with pictures including the meter numbers if you can)
    3. Your bank details (look at a direct debit form from anywhere and include what is requested on that)
    4. A statement that you authorise them to set up a direct debit
    5. An instruction that you wish to remain on the variable tariff which you are already on as part of the deemed contract you already have with them.
     Make sure you send to the letter to the appropriate address.

    [Edited to add] Make sure you keep a copy of the letter, just in case they "misunderstand" it and you end up on an expensive fixed tariff.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.