EXTENDED: You've got another week to add your travel & holiday deals questions for expert MSE Oli as part of the latest Ask An Expert event.

Should I switch to universal credit?

This is the place to discuss our new Should I switch to universal credit guide?

We'd love to hear your thoughts, personal experiences, and general feedback. 

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.


  • NedSNedS Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    You also shouldn't put a figure on earnings for self employed (Self-employed workers earning less than £1,200 a month) as the amount will be different for everyone, depending on their circumstances so it isn't possible to give an exact figure, or even a ballpark guide, as the MIF covers a large range, from £4.62 x 16h up to £8.91 x 35h/week.
  • stutakesphotosstutakesphotos Forumite
    149 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    "compared wiht 30 hours on working tax credit"
    Compared with 
    Sorry to be pedantic :smile:

    I wonder whether it should mention discretionary housing payments?

    Overall, I really like it. Great stuff

  • DaphneHallDaphneHall Forumite
    1 Post
    First Post
    It says in the article dated 17 Jan 2022 that you have to complete the UC claim in one online session - in fact you can save it part filled and log on again and come back to it - just the date of claim isn't registered until you press the submit button
  • J_MackwellJ_Mackwell Forumite
    1 Post
    First Post
    Hi currently receive CTC (not WTC or HB) based on income minus gift aided deductions. Am only able to gift aid so much of my donations due to not paying much tax due to level of income. Am considering 3 options:
    1. Stay with CTC, monitor and limit gift aided giving, though will give donate more than I can gift aid. (also use gift aided giving as tax deductible.
    2. Stay with CTC, register for CharitiesTrust Payroll giving so donations taken before tax - BUT not sure if CTC assessed on left over income or not? Any ideas?
    3. Move over to UC, register for CharitiesTrust Payroll giving so donations taken before tax which I believe UC use the left over income to base my UC award on? Is this correct?

    So which option is best, both for my family and also for the charities I support?
Sign In or Register to comment.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy Price Cap change

Martin Lewis on what it means for you

MSE News

Best £1 you've ever spent?

Share your most impressive bargains

MSE Forum