We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Japanese Maple

Gers
Gers Posts: 11,999 Forumite
First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
A friend has sent me a present of a very small and bare Japanese Maple in a pot. How do I deal with this please? It's a gift in memory of my late DM from her oldest and closest friend so I want to give it proper attention. 
Any advice please? Thanks. 

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,178 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 10 December 2021 at 11:01AM
    First thing to bear in mind it is not an indoor plant, it needs to be outside

Make sure the pot has drainage holes & is not just some decorative sort. If no holes makes some or repot it

Not knowing where you live but I'd dunk the pot in a bucket of water, just in case it's been in a shop and has dried out the compost. Once bubbles cease, remove from bucket and let it drain freely

Then place it outside in a very sheltered spot, got a cold frame or open porch maybe?

As it's winter there will be no growth until Spring so don't panic.
    In the meantime consider where you will plant or place this tree, it likes dappled shade and not bakinf but there's plenty of time to think about it, for instance stay in a pot with constant watering required

Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,556 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Does it have a label?  There's a massive range of Japanese Maples - you need to know whether it's going to stay small or need a lot of space, and whether it's going to be very tender or fairly tough. 
    The one thing most of them hate is cold winds and being exposed to Spring frosts when the buds are opening. 

• Gers
    The label says 'Acer palmatum Beni-Maiko'.  It's arrived fully water and the pot is the normal black plastic about 5 or 6cm wide.

No cold frame but I can leave it in my small outside barn with the door open. We do get cold winds and the odd Spring frost but being in the barn should protect it.

• twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,488 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    I'd pop it in a terracotta pot just an inch or two wider than the current one with John innes compost no.3
    Tease the roots out a little with your fingers as they will be going round and round the plastic pot.
    Press the compost down firmly.
    If it's going to be in the barn you could wrap some bubble wrap around the pot to keep it from freezing.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,611 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 December 2021 at 1:42PM
    The RHS website would be a good starting point. It appears to be compact and very highly coloured most of the year. If I recall, you're in quite an exposed spot, so it needs somewhere relatively sheltered where it doesn't clash with other plants. It'll liven up an otherwise green/grey border. 
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • Gers
    twopenny said:
    I'd pop it in a terracotta pot just an inch or two wider than the current one with John innes compost no.3
    Tease the roots out a little with your fingers as they will be going round and round the plastic pot.
    Press the compost down firmly.
    If it's going to be in the barn you could wrap some bubble wrap around the pot to keep it from freezing.
    Will do that - thanks.
    RAS said:
    The RHS website would be a good starting point. It appears to be compact and very highly coloured most of the year. If I recall, you're in quite an exposed spot, so it needs somewhere relatively sheltered where it doesn't clash with other plants. It'll liven up an otherwise green/grey border. 

Yes, I'm in a very exposed spot.  I wish this friend had asked me before sending this particular plant, even if I really appreciate her intentions.
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,488 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 10 December 2021 at 8:28PM
    Just found when sorting out my papers - Protect from wet in winter - plant out in spring.
    My neighbour grows one for her dad in a pot. However it is sheltered and in the west country so mild by others standards.
    Yes, people have good intentions but not as far as asking before presenting
    If you wanted to you could always phone them up and ask how best to care for it in your exposed spot because it is so lovely etc ;)

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• wort
    wort Posts: 1,666 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    I have mine in pots, they like woodland conditions , so ericaceous soil and not in full sun in the mornings. As the leaves scorch if there is dew on them . But it's an easy plant . Doesn't need cutting back or any thing.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback