Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Updating (postage) mailing list

Options
I volunteer for my local Lions group and we currently utilise a mailing list to advertise our two largest events of the year, through posting out leaflets.

The issue being that the mailing list has been built over 20+ years ... so we don't know whether these contact details are still up to date, or even still alive possibly!

We include a (paper) form where people can opt to switch to email communications - by returning the paper leaflet, or e-mailing us at the details on the form.

Does anyone else have any smart ideas on how to clean up / update our (paper/postage) mailing list please? With the thinking being that certain recipients may not have smartphones, etc.
You were only killing time and it'll kill you right back

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,093 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I believe there are services you can pay for where they take your mailing list and check it for accuracy, presumably against the electoral roll.

It might be argued that your next paper form should say that you will remove those who don't return it.

When the 'Gone Away' and other returns arrive, does anyone update the list?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • girl_withno_name
    Options
    I do believe the list is updated when people state a preference for email now, or when the mail is returned to sender. 

Requiring people to return the form in order to remain on the mailing list feels like it would likely significantly decrease the list to be honest! 
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    How big a list is it? If not humongous there's nothing stopping a couple of you from cross checking against the electoral roll. I believe you can access it at the library or perhaps online. 
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • girl_withno_name
    Options
    Brie said:
    How big a list is it? If not humongous there's nothing stopping a couple of you from cross checking against the electoral roll. I believe you can access it at the library or perhaps online. 
    Think it's about 1000 people
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,093 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I do believe the list is updated when people state a preference for email now, or when the mail is returned to sender. 

Requiring people to return the form in order to remain on the mailing list feels like it would likely significantly decrease the list to be honest! 
    Yup, it would. However, you do need to consider your responsibilities under GDPR - are you registered with the ICO? https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/data-protection-fee/faqs-data-protection-fee-payment-and-online-registration/

If not, should you be?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport