Phishing email in the name of Martin Lewis

Options
Just received this email, which looks extremely suspect (clue is the spelling mistake in the title!). Strangely, the date on the email is 25 Nov. but it only landed today. Tried to send it on to 'furtherhelp@moneysavingexpert.com', but I think your security software has picked up something in the message and bounced it. Just thought MSE should know about phishing emails that are going out in Martin's name. 

Is there an alternate route to send this sort of thing to you guys?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 8 December 2021 at 5:01PM
    Options
    I wouldn't bother. Everyone, particularly MSE, is very aware of them and they're virtually impossible to stop.

Just add the senders to your own blocklists.
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,562 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There must be some jobs for those who can spell and whose grammar is at least passable in the spam trade.
  • TimSynths
    TimSynths Posts: 603 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 8 December 2021 at 5:20PM
    Options
    giraffe69 said:
    There must be some jobs for those who can spell and whose grammar is at least passable in the spam trade.
    The spelling and grammar is part of the tactics as most sensible people would pick up on it and junk it, those that don't have just thinned the herd for greater success for the fraudsters.
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    giraffe69 said:
    The grammar in that one isn't particularly bad, there's obviously the Bitcoin misspelling and there's also a missing 's' after 'disappear' but it's not bad overall. I've seen much worse. And I've seen worse in legitimate documents too. What I'd like to see is the bottom half of that message - the supposed interview with Martin. . . 
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,767 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Martin Lewis has been very vocal in the media recently regarding ads in his and other 'celebrity' names.

From the main website:
    Warning: Watch out for fake emails claiming to be from Martin Lewis as more than 300 reported in one week (moneysavingexpert.com)
  • Former_MSE_Laura
    Options
    Hi @Clarky13

Thanks for raising this.

Our stop scams guide has all the information you need around reporting these emails. Please do keep reporting any you see.

All the best,

MSE Laura
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport