We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Soft searches on credit file

My car insurance is due for renewal in January but I have not started looking yet. Today I got an email from my credit report saying a soft search had been done on my account. This was a car insurance company called Marshmallow. I have never heard of them before this. I contacted the company who then proceeded to ask for many of my personal details so they could apparently look into it. I didn't give my details and she quoted me Article 6 of the General Data Protection act saying they have the authority to conduct a soft search where they have legitimate reasons to do so and this would happen from a quote request. Are they actually allowed to do this as I haven't requested any quotes so what they have quoted me with the Act is actually them saying they have broken it? I understand once you do searches for insurance they can do this but surely it's a breach of data protection for random companies to be accessing my personal information and credit score when I haven't even looked for insurance.

Comments

  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 121,853 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Are they actually allowed to do this as I haven't requested any quotes 
    Yes.

    At some point, you have used a comparison site or quote service where you agreed in their T&C for firms to provide quotes and be supplied information that you input to obtain the quote.    Firms will do soft checks because a number of them set their pricing based on that information.     

     I understand once you do searches for insurance they can do this but surely it's a breach of data protection for random companies to be accessing my personal information and credit score when I haven't even looked for insurance.
    It won't be random.  You have given permission in the past (almost certainly via a comparison site).
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.