Facebook VENT because they muted our Church service!

Talk about big brother!  This evening Facebook spoilt the enjoyment of us listening the our children's choir singing carols because they sang so well that Facebook claimed we have used recordings of a cathedral choir!!!  Even though you could see them singing!

Comments

• MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Did you have to see them via Facebook? There are other ways to watch such things. 

Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • MalMonroe said:
    Did you have to see them via Facebook? There are other ways to watch such things. 

Like actually going to it.
  • knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 6,988 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Yes, we usually go, I work the cameras for the online services, but this Sunday we were visiting family and over 100 miles away.
  • Mnoee
    Mnoee Posts: 812 Forumite
    Photogenic Homepage Hero First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 December 2021 at 9:01AM
    Talk about big brother!  This evening Facebook spoilt the enjoyment of us listening the our children's choir singing carols because they sang so well that Facebook claimed we have used recordings of a cathedral choir!!!  Even though you could see them singing!
    Were they only singing songs in the public domain? Were they using a prerecorded backing track? The ai (not a human) is pretty good at picking up music that's under copyright. It's could be an issue of what they were singing, not a question of if they were singing or how well. Facebook in particular don't like 'static' videos with music - so a single wide shot of kids standing still might get flagged as a picture with music played over the top. 

I've seen a band get a copyright strike from an overzealous ai for performing their own songs - albeit on YouTube who have a slightly different system. These platforms are just too big to have humans monitoring every single live stream, so even if all the music was indeed legal, the ai can and does make mistakes. Frustrating, but inevitable! 
  • knightstyle
    All the music was performed by our youth choir accompanied by the church organ, live streamed as is usual for our services.
  • Mnoee
    All the music was performed by our youth choir accompanied by the church organ, live streamed as is usual for our services.
    Yes, but while you can absolutely broadcast jingle bells, you might be muted if you sing frosty the snowman... There's a long list of Christmas songs that are public domain and a fair few that are a not! 
  • ThumbRemote
    ThumbRemote Posts: 4,618 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Were you watching 'Facebook live', or the published video after the live period had ended? My experience is that Facebook tends to mute the sections when the video is published afterwards. 

There is a mechanism whereby the publisher can challenge the decision on a published video. Go to the post containing the video on the Facebook page and click the 'Your video is partly muted due to a copyright match' message. Then click 'See details', 'Continue' x 3 and you get to a 'What would you like to do' screen with the option to submit a dispute. 

• knightstyle
    Thanks I will pass it on.  Here is the stream  https://www.facebook.com/stwulframs/videos/1062070417909332
    It was an Advent Liturgy including Benjamin Britten's, A Ceremony of Carols.
  • Mnoee
    Thanks I will pass it on.  Here is the stream  https://www.facebook.com/stwulframs/videos/1062070417909332
    So... Under copyright, and the church doesn't have a prs licence? Not quite the worst religious scandal I've seen, but it's not a good look! 
  • bazzyb
    bazzyb Posts: 1,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Does the church have a streaming licence with CCLI?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback