We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Contents insurance - historic subsidence

I need to arrange Contents insurance only for my flat, which is a first floor flat in a small block.  We already have Buildings Insurance arranged for the whole block.  When I'm getting quotes for Contents cover, I'm being asked questions about subsidence.  I know that the flat below mine was affected by subsidence 9 years ago and was underpinned.  My flat was not affected.  Should I still be declaring this?  The questions all ask about the 'property', so does that mean the block as a whole, or just my flat?  I want to be truthful but I don't want to declare subsidence that never affected my flat, was remedied with no further occurrence, and in any event, I'm only seeking Contents cover, as we already have Buildings Insurance which reflects the historic subsidence risk.  Advice would be most welcome, thank you!

Comments

  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 19,959 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Surely your flat relies on the structure downstairs? Anyway, I would just answer the questions truthfully, I suspect that they're either irrelevant or only become so in a worst-case scenario.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.