Use one WiFi switch to control another?

Options
Just wondering if this is possible.  I have a two gang light switch in the kitchen controlling two sets of ceiling lights. Another switch controls the under-cupboard lights but this one is on another wall, just under one of the wall cupboards.

Is it possible to change the two gang switch to a three gang one and have the additional gang act through WiFi to control the state of the other switch?

This would avoid me having to track the wall between switches and physically connect them.

Ta.

Comments

• Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    In theory, but it depends on the capabilities of the switches - whether you can use the main switch to send the necessary code and the secondary switch can receive them.   
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,600 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    JohnB47 said:
    Just wondering if this is possible.  I have a two gang light switch in the kitchen controlling two sets of ceiling lights. Another switch controls the under-cupboard lights but this one is on another wall, just under one of the wall cupboards.

Is it possible to change the two gang switch to a three gang one and have the additional gang act through WiFi to control the state of the other switch?

This would avoid me having to track the wall between switches and physically connect them.

Ta.

So, at the moment none of the switches are WiFi controlled, and you want to know if a 3 gang switch can conventionally control two lights plus a new WiFi capable switch on the under-cupboard lights? Not as far as I know.
    Why not just put WiFi controlled switches in the existing switch locations and control the lot from a phone app? Or put WiFi switches into the existing light circuits in addition to the standard switches you already have?

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• JohnB47
    JohnB47 Posts: 2,544 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ok guys. Thanks.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business