Fixing my bed base.

Not totally sure the material but the part you lie on appears to be cardboard or plywood that is stapled into the corners of the frame.

Last year I damaged one corner of the base when standing on it to change a bulb and just put a heavy item there which worked and planned to fix it at some point,

I had the idea for a staple gun a while back and in the meantime the top of bed where I lie I must of put too much weight on as the same thing has occured.

the actual material isn't damaged just out of shape.

I bought a proper staple gun, and I managed to bend the base part enough so I could staple it and sat on it (with matress on top) and now is fine.

The top frame though, is more tricky as I cant bend it enough to reach the corners (just about) and don't want to risk damaging it.

I tried stapling anyway and used a few dozen staples and it didn't even last a second.

Any ideas how to do this?

Comments

• Hi,
    if it's cardboard or plywood not going to take much weight.
    Get a few sheets of 8X4 MDF, cut to size and fit securely.
    Can you stick up a photie of problem, please.

• dekaspace1
    dekaspace1 Posts: 402 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 31 December 2021 at 1:47AM
    Hi, late response as I was going to leave it a bit but the problem came back.

Will try and get a photo tomorrow, basically I think weight isn't the issue or at least not the main issue, its how the cardboard flexes it has bent a little so it no longer reaches the corners easily so it can't be stapled back into place easily (without say taking it out and bending it to correct shape.

The actual woodwork of frame seems to be fine

Trying to do a temp fix as gained a huge amount of weight during lockdown so if I get a new frame don't want to damage it so trying to lose weight.

MDF sounds interesting but wouldn't it be expensive and hard to get to exact size? and maybe not that comfortable?

For info its a super king size bed with is a base in 2 parts.

EDIT : Whilst I am here, I was thinking recently about attaching headboard to the wall, right now the one I have is a bit akward and wobbles unless its right against the wall and matress pushed against it (its because there isn't enough places to screw bolts into)

Or maybe I can say drill holes into the base to screw bolts into.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I think the existing material will be hardboard. It is usually about 3mm thick, and can be bought at Wickes for £22 a sheet. You might only need one sheet if only part of the  surface is damaged/stretched. It can be cut reasonably straight with a hand saw if you take care. Using the existing surface to support it would make the cutting easier, but it does create a lot of very fine dust, so you will need to h oover up afterwards.

You would need heavy duty staples and a heavy duty stapler if you were going to acheive a good repair using staples. I would suggest panel pins as a cheaper alternative. 20mm panel pins from Wickes are £4 for more than you will need. A photo will help advise you better 
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • davemorton
    davemorton Posts: 29,066 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    I dont know about other places, but B&Q will cut it to size for you.  (Sometimes a small charge)
    “Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?”
    Juvenal, The Sixteen Satires
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport