Handing in notice before Mortgage completion..

LLL144LLL144 Forumite
10 Posts
First Post
MoneySaving Newbie
Hello!
Me and my husband have just had our official mortgage offer and are looking to complete for our house in January.
The mortgage offer is based on both of our full time salaries, but the plan has been for me to quit my job and focus on having IVF as soon as possible.
Now we have secured the deal I was hoping to hand my notice in after exchange in the next few weeks. 
I am desperate to start the process of IVF as you can imagine but am now worrying if I give my notice in too soon will it jeopardise the mortgage? Will they even know? I will have to work a months notice.. Would appreciate your thoughts on this :)   

Replies

• owenjtowenjt Forumite
    75 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    My understanding is that if you resigned from your job before exchange then you must notify your mortgage provider. Once you've exchanged and the house is legally yours, you can resign and they don't need to know.
  • Marvel1Marvel1 Forumite
    6.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    owenjt said:
    My understanding is that if you resigned from your job before exchange then you must notify your mortgage provider. Once you've exchanged and the house is legally yours, you can resign and they don't need to know.
    The mortgage is not released on exchange.
  • 980233980233 Forumite
    177 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    owenjt said:
    Completed.
  • theartfullodgertheartfullodger Forumite
    12.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    owenjt said:
    That may or may not be the case, would depend on exact terms of THAT mortgage product from THAT lender.

Understand should read completed
  • brett19852010brett19852010 Forumite
    485 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    If the bank are lending based on your salary then surely you'd need to inform them of your intentions to resign. 
  • edited 25 November at 1:05PM
    andy444andy444 Forumite
    111 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    edited 25 November at 1:05PM
    You have an Agreement in Principle. That is different to a full mortgage being released at completion. The AIP provided was under the belief that there will be two incomes at the time of completion. It's up to you whether you think anyone will find out but to leave your job before the mortgage commences would make your mortgage claim fraudulent.

• edited 25 November at 1:17PM
    lookstraightaheadlookstraightahead Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 25 November at 1:17PM
    andy444 said:
    You have an Agreement in Principle. That is different to a full mortgage being released at completion. The AIP provided was under the belief that there will be two incomes at the time of completion. It's up to you whether you think anyone will find out but to leave your job before the mortgage commences would make your mortgage claim fraudulent.

Agree with this.

You've also not secured a deal, and also what if this current buy falls through? 

• LLL144LLL144 Forumite
    10 Posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    andy444 said:

We have an official offer but I understand the money wont be released until completion. I would not of course want to commit a fraudulent act but technically I would still be working there as I would be working my notice?
    Do I need to inform the lender after completion about my change of circumstances although we will have no problem making the repayments? 
  • DrawingalineDrawingaline Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    After completion no. Wait until then.
    Debt free Feb 2021 🎉