Possibly having new double glazing fitted to bungalow, what questions should I be asking?

Hi, I live in a two-bedroom bungalow on the west coast of Scotland and currently my timber frame windows, particularly those facing the southwest, look to need replacing. I have been quoted £9370 to have all my doors and windows replaced. I've attached a few images to show roughly what will be replaced, this includes a garage window and rear door to the garage. I've been advised the UPVC replacements will be fine and am meeting with a fitter tomorrow. What questions should I be asking and does the quote seem fair?

Replies

• youth_leaderyouth_leader Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Stoptober Survivor
    ✭✭✭
    I'd make sure each window area had a 'small' window you can open, as well as trickle vents. 

I've just moved into an extended bungalow and the extension windows don't have trickle vents.  As a consequence I have a condensation problem.
    £216 saved 24 October 2014
  • edited 25 November at 7:04PM
    Bendy_HouseBendy_House Forumite
    859 Posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    edited 25 November at 7:04PM
    PVC should certainly be fine, and the quote doesn't jump out as being unreasonable - although i have nothing to compare it with, and I'm really out of touch.
    Have you had only one quote? And is this from a local installer?
    When we last had windows installed, I got three local outfits to quote, all of whom came with solid recommendations - all respected companies in the area. (I also got a 'National' out for a laugh. It wasn't funny...)
    Anyhoo, the quality and quotes were very similar, and the beauty of the local companies was that these were quotes, and not starting/negotiating points. (The 'National' started at 3 times the amount, and the guy was 'happy' to call his 'manager' even in the evening for this 'nice couple'...)
    What made me choose the one I went for? I asked them all for their thoughts on style, taking into account the old style of bungie we have. Only one showed genuine enthusiasm for this task, and went on to recommend 'Georgian' bars, of a particular thickness, the neatest edge'trim profile, and the best combination of openers and 'fixed' in order to look balanced. We agreed, and went with him. It was the right choice.
    So, if you don't have at least two companies hoping to have your business, then I think you may be at a disadvantage.
    What to check, compare and ask? Quality - make of PVC extrusion; thickness of frame; thickness of DG units possibly also any other 'pluses' here - self-cleaning glass, anti-glare, whatevs; quality of fittings - handles, locks, etc; profile of extrusion (cosmetic issue), and then just listen to what they say about the job - do they fill you with confidence?
    Do they listen to you? If you asked them, say, "What profile of PVC frame do you think will look best?", are they 'interested' in giving you a full answer?
    And, have you thought through the aesthetics fully - style of windows and colour? 
  • kazwookiekazwookie Forumite
    12.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How much is it going to cost?
    What is you lead time ie when can you start
    How long will it take
    Does the price include debris away ie a skip.
    How long is the guarantee for?
    Does the guarantee cover parts and labour
    What are your payment terms
    What is the deposit

The quote you do have, how many windows / doors is that for / what size are the windows, I suggest you ring round a few other suppliers / installers and ask them for verbal quotes

:) Sun, Sea :)

• NivNiv Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    First question I would ask is what is the price difference to go to triple glazing. 
    YNWA

Target: Mortgage free by 58.
  • Ken2000Ken2000 Forumite
    55 Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Niv said:
    First question I would ask is what is the price difference to go to triple glazing. 
    Do you think that the extra glazing makes that much of a difference?
  • EssexExileEssexExile Forumite
    5.4K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd make sure each window area had a 'small' window you can open, as well as trickle vents. 

I've just moved into an extended bungalow and the extension windows don't have trickle vents.  As a consequence I have a condensation problem.
    If you don't have trickle vents now and you don't have condensation problems now, then I would advise you don't have trickle vents in the new windows. Whenever I've lived in a house with trickle vents I've sealed them up to prevent noise and draughts.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    55 Posts
    PVC should certainly be fine, and the quote doesn't jump out as being unreasonable - although i have nothing to compare it with, and I'm really out of touch.
    Have you had only one quote? And is this from a local installer?
    When we last had windows installed, I got three local outfits to quote, all of whom came with solid recommendations - all respected companies in the area. (I also got a 'National' out for a laugh. It wasn't funny...)
    Anyhoo, the quality and quotes were very similar, and the beauty of the local companies was that these were quotes, and not starting/negotiating points. (The 'National' started at 3 times the amount, and the guy was 'happy' to call his 'manager' even in the evening for this 'nice couple'...)
    What made me chose the one I went for? I asked them all for their thoughts on style, taking into account the old style of bungie we have. Only one showed genuine enthusiasm for this task, and went on to recommend 'Georgian' bars, of a particular thickness, the neatest edge'trim profile, and the best combination of openers and 'fixed' in order to look balanced. We agreed, and went with him. It was the right choice.
    So, if you don't have at least two companies hoping to have your business, then I think you may be at a disadvantage.
    What to check, compare and ask? Quality - make of PVC extrusion; thickness of frame; thickness of DG units possibly also any other 'pluses' here - self-cleaning glass, anti-glare, whatevs; quality of fittings - handles, locks, etc; profile of extrusion (cosmetic issue), and then just listen to what they say about the job - do they fill you with confidence?
    Do they listen to you? If you asked them, say, "What profile of PVC frame do you think will look best?", are they 'interested' in giving you a full answer?
    And, have you thought through the aesthetics fully - style of windows and colour? 
    Thanks and yes, I've only had one quote and it's from a local installer.
  • FreeBearFreeBear Forumite
    7.7K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    kazwookie said: How long is the guarantee for?

And is the guarantee backed by insurance ?

The quote does sound a bit high for just 6 windows & 2 doors. But... Shipping costs to the Highlands & Islands can be quite steep. Certainly worth shopping around for other quotes from local independent fitters.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    55 Posts
    FreeBear said:
    kazwookie said: How long is the guarantee for?

And is the guarantee backed by insurance ?

The quote does sound a bit high for just 6 windows & 2 doors. But... Shipping costs to the Highlands & Islands can be quite steep. Certainly worth shopping around for other quotes from local independent fitters.
    Thanks, in total, it's 7 windows and 3 doors. 
  • donemedoshdonemedosh Forumite
    190 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    How long is the guarantee look for 10 years. What type of profile are the windows made from Liniar &Rehau are the top 2. Energy rating looking for A to A++. Window locking type & fitted trickle vents. The quote is a bit high always worth getting 1 or 2 more before making up your mind.