IMPORTANT REMINDER: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information. If you are uploading images, please take extra care that you have redacted all personal information.

Dad had car accident but he'd failed to renew insurance

in Motoring
40 replies 2.7K views
124»

Replies

• SandtreeSandtree Forumite
    7.7K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sid1982 said:
    DB1904 said:
    Jenni_D said:
    No' he can't just leave it at the pound as it will be racking up storage costs. He could perhaps "sell" it to a scrappie for the release costs (otherwise he'd need insurance on it to get it released, AFAIK).

As to the general issue - the Motor Insurer's Bureau will probably come into effect for the 3rd party's claim, but your dad may still have a claim against him filed to recover costs. I think you (he) need to get proper legal advice ... does he have legal cover on his home insurance? (Although they may not assist with motoring-related advice).
    He can sign away the rights to a car so technically he can leave it there.

If there's comprehensive insurance on the car he hit the MIB won't pay.
    If he signs car over to the Police does that forfeit any incurred charges for impoundment and storage?
    As per my previous post, most the time it will but I have heard of exceptions however in those cases the vehicle had been in there a long time and was a burnt wreck so little/no salvage value
  • onomatopoeia99onomatopoeia99 Forumite
    6.6K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    angrycrow said:
    I noticed both my motor policies with Direct Line which have always been auto renewal shifted to call us to confirm renewal this year. They did send the renewal and two reminders on both occasions.

It may be a new trend from insurers this year. Definitely worth op following up on his father's behalf given the potential value of the claim if a credit hire company gets involved. 
    Interesting.  I have three (one van, two cars) with direct line and they all auto-renewed this year.

Home is where my books are.

Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.
    Mortgage neutral target Jun 2019, achieved Dec 2018.
  • onomatopoeia99onomatopoeia99 Forumite
    6.6K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aretnap said:

If you (or your dad) can persuade the Ombudsman that it was reasonable for him to think that his insurance would automatically renew, the insurer may have to cover his costs regardless of the fact that it didn't. 
    We are dealing with someone with early onset dementia, surely all bets are off as to whether the OPs dad was told, he could have been told 10 tens and deleted the lot and can never remember a thing about it.
    The insurance company should have been informed of the diagnosis. A material fact that would have had impact on renewal if not much earlier. 
    This is what my insurance company say when asked about declaring medical conditions (my bold):

If you’ve had an operation, please seek advice from your doctor who can declare if you’re fit enough to drive or not.

Otherwise, providing you’ve told the DVLA about any other medical conditions or disabilities you have, and they’ve agreed that you can continue to drive with a valid licence, there is no need to tell us. This applies to all named drivers on your policy.
    Home is where my books are.

Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.
    Mortgage neutral target Jun 2019, achieved Dec 2018.
  • DB1904DB1904 Forumite
    527 Posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Sid1982 said:
    DB1904 said:
    Jenni_D said:
    No' he can't just leave it at the pound as it will be racking up storage costs. He could perhaps "sell" it to a scrappie for the release costs (otherwise he'd need insurance on it to get it released, AFAIK).

As to the general issue - the Motor Insurer's Bureau will probably come into effect for the 3rd party's claim, but your dad may still have a claim against him filed to recover costs. I think you (he) need to get proper legal advice ... does he have legal cover on his home insurance? (Although they may not assist with motoring-related advice).
    He can sign away the rights to a car so technically he can leave it there.

If there's comprehensive insurance on the car he hit the MIB won't pay.
    If he signs car over to the Police does that forfeit any incurred charges for impoundment and storage?
    How much is the car worth? I'm not sure of current rates but you're looking in the region of £150 recovery cost and £20 storage.
  • DB1904DB1904 Forumite
    527 Posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Sid1982 said:
    Quick update on this, Dad now better and doing OK. Neighbour who was hit has kindly agreed to avoid the insurance as long as we pay for repair of his car which has been agreed. The chap has been an absolute diamond who restores your faith in humanity.

Just in process of speaking to some scrap places about selling his car to them but some have mentioned if he signs title over to the Police they won't charge for recovery and storage costs but I've not had this confirmed.

Dad still has some testing to be done before anything is confirming regarding his mental state so it's the waiting game. In the meantime its public transport and taxis for him only.

I take it the police will be in touch in due course regarding the lack of insurance is it worth him visiting the station beforehand?
    Nothing to be gained by attending the police station.
  • Sid1982Sid1982 Forumite
    5 Posts
    First Post
    Just wondering if we were to hand the V5 over to the Police, whether they'd then waive their recovery and storage fees? It's not very clear on their website 🙄
  • DB1904DB1904 Forumite
    527 Posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Sid1982 said:
    Just wondering if we were to hand the V5 over to the Police, whether they'd then waive their recovery and storage fees? It's not very clear on their website 🙄
    Without knowing how much the accident damaged vehicle is worth and how long they've had the vehicle you won't get an answer here.. Given you were talking about scrapping it then it's unlikely.
  • edited 26 November 2021 at 6:19PM
    JumblebumbleJumblebumble Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    edited 26 November 2021 at 6:19PM
    Jenni_D said:
    No, he can't just leave it at the pound as it will be racking up storage costs. He could perhaps "sell" it to a scrappie for the release costs (otherwise he'd need insurance on it to get it released, AFAIK).

The Metropolitan Police disagree with you about storage charges if the OPS father decides to leave it in the pound if they have seized due to no insurance
    Disclaiming a vehicle
     If you don’t want to reclaim your vehicle you don’t need to take any action. We'll dispose of it after 14 days.

If you need written confirmation that you're no longer responsible for the vehicle, go to the pound with proof of identity and ownership and sign a disclaimer form. You’ll receive a copy.

There are no charges to pay if the vehicle is left at the pound for disposal.

https://www.met.police.uk/advice/advice-and-information/vr/vehicle-recovery/seized-vehicles/

I have no idea if this applies in other police force areas but the OP can simply ring up the local pound to clafify

• SandtreeSandtree Forumite
    7.7K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jumblebumble said:
    The metropolitan police disagree with you about storage charges if the OPS father decides to leave it in the pound if they have seized due to no insurance
    Disclaiming a vehicle
     If you don’t want to reclaim your vehicle you don’t need to take any action. We'll dispose of it after 14 days.
    I already agreed that normally you can get rid of the vehicle in exchange of no fees, but wonder if the 14 days universally applies even with the Met? If they know the driver is in hospital with major injuries would be harsh to only give 14 days... they may not even be conscious within this timescale let alone discharged (obv talking theoretically). In this case the OP's father was an old boy, query mental capabilities and went to hospital (unclear if ambulance due to injuries or walk in as a precaution)so could be a scenario where more time would be appropriate if discretion is applied
  • DB1904DB1904 Forumite
    527 Posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Sandtree said:
    Jumblebumble said:
    The metropolitan police disagree with you about storage charges if the OPS father decides to leave it in the pound if they have seized due to no insurance
    Disclaiming a vehicle
    I already agreed that normally you can get rid of the vehicle in exchange of no fees, but wonder if the 14 days universally applies even with the Met? If they know the driver is in hospital with major injuries would be harsh to only give 14 days... they may not even be conscious within this timescale let alone discharged (obv talking theoretically). In this case the OP's father was an old boy, query mental capabilities and went to hospital (unclear if ambulance due to injuries or walk in as a precaution)so could be a scenario where more time would be appropriate if discretion is applied
    Practically if that were the case, the vehicle would be seized as evidence so different rules would apply.