Online shopping for elderly people.

briskbeats
briskbeats Posts: 434 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post
edited 30 December 2021 at 9:25AM in Gone off!
Are there any supermarkets online deliveries that do carrier bags or cater better for elderly customers? My grandmother lives 65 miles from us and my aunt who lives a couple of miles away from her usually does the shopping for grandmother.  Aunt won’t be able to drive for a month due to surgery. 

My grandmother would not cope with emptying crates of shopping and into bags. She can take a bag one at a time inside. She’s 94 with visual and arthritis issues. 

Comments

• Sheel
    Sheel Posts: 45,671 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ocado and Iceland still use bags.
    Same old same old since 2008

• Iceland it will be as there’s one in the shopping centre half a mile from her.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,199 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Waitrose do not supply bags, but if your gran has bags the driver will unpack & carry inside, from my recent receipt

"Help with unpacking your shopping

Our drivers can carry your shopping into your home or help pack your own bags on the doorstep. Alternatively you can take the delivery crates inside if you wish. Just let your driver know what suits you when they arrive."

I have trouble unpacking [I use a stick for walking] and the W8rose list allows for comments, and I always add a note about unpacking help required, never had any problems

Asda do the same but it's not explicitly stated

Only one I know who supply bags is Iceland, but they have limited range if looking for branded goods

I've always found drivers helpful and will lift items indoors & over threshold for me to carry through at my convenience. I think it helps if you do leave note on the delivery checkout, so driver is fore warned

Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Mnoee
    Mnoee Posts: 814 Forumite
    Photogenic Homepage Hero First Anniversary First Post
    Tesco also say they'll carry shopping inside - 'If you are a vulnerable, disabled or elderly customer, you can ask our delivery drivers to take your shopping inside your home. They will do so, providing they believe it is safe and practical. Unfortunately, they won’t be able to enter your home if you are self-isolating.' From here: https://www.tesco.com/help/groceries-faq/

I think with all the big companies, you'll have great drivers who'll go the extra mile and others who just want to get to the next person ASAP and you'll find glowing reviews and horror stories for each. 
  • GaleSF63
    GaleSF63 Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Waitrose and Tesco will now bring shopping to the kitchen again - they will certainly unload the crates into your grandmother's bags for her and put them inside her door. As Farway suggests, good idea to leave a note on the delivery instructions - I put on mine that I may be slow answering the door, as well.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    I think it depends on your area/store/warehouse and also of course on the delivery person. My 90 mum gets Morrisons deliveries who for now still provide bags then take them back the week after. They take them to the kitchen for her. Personally i use Asda who don't provide bags but if you ask will bring the crates into the kitchen and unload. Agree about filling in the delivery instructions so they know beforehand. Best thing to do is to try a few and see which suits them best.
  • PLRFD
    PLRFD Posts: 1,124 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    My Morrisons uses bags but apparently it’s not everyone of them that does.
  • MrsStepford
    MrsStepford Posts: 1,592 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Just wanted to point out that carrying shopping inside (Ocado, Waitrose) doesn't mean that the driver will be wearing a mask, to keep elderly people safer. WHO says just wearing a mask, cuts transmission by 53% but supermarkets aren't taking this advice onboard..

• Just wanted to point out that carrying shopping inside (Ocado, Waitrose) doesn't mean that the driver will be wearing a mask, to keep elderly people safer. WHO says just wearing a mask, cuts transmission by 53% but supermarkets aren't taking this advice onboard..

That doesn’t mean to say my grandmother could wear one instead 
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,890 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Just wanted to point out that carrying shopping inside (Ocado, Waitrose) doesn't mean that the driver will be wearing a mask, to keep elderly people safer. WHO says just wearing a mask, cuts transmission by 53% but supermarkets aren't taking this advice onboard..

Not had a driver that isn’t wearing a mask thankfully but I have a trolley and meet the driver outside anyway but I do feel safer that they are all wearing masks.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback