Executor no longer solicitors

Options

We are sorting out the will of our grandad and had to obtain the original will from SRA as the solicitors was closed down by them. The will was set up in 1988 by two solicitors whose firm then was taken over by another and has since been closed down by the SRA as it was part of the Kingly Group.
The will states that his daughter along with the two original solicitors are executors.  One of these have been found from googling and is in their 70's and no longer in this field, the other we cannot find by goggling.
What do we need to do regarding these two executors?  Are we able to go ahead with daughter only acting as executor as they seem to be no longer solicitors
Thanks for your help

Comments

• buffalito
    Options
    You can check on the SRA website www.sra.org.uk. It will tell you whether the other solicitor is still practising. If he is you'll need to fill in a PA15 form and get him to sign it. If you've made every effort to track him down and can show that but still cannot find him the daughter can act without him. You'll need to state that you're acting without him on the IHT application.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Options
    This can be a real pain. Ideally you should get both to renounce. Have you checked to see if there is a death record for the one you have not been able to trace?
  • JGB1955
    JGB1955 Posts: 3,511 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I think you will also need to ask the other (known) solicitor to renounce his executorship. He could, presumably, still act in his 'private' capacity, although would not be able to charge the estate for his time.
    #2 Saving for Christmas 2024 - £1 a day challenge. £325 of £366
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,731 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 22 November 2021 at 12:29PM
    Options
    JGB1955 said:
    I think you will also need to ask the other (known) solicitor to renounce his executorship. He could, presumably, still act in his 'private' capacity, although would not be able to charge the estate for his time.
    He / she may also still be in contact with his / her old partner.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,336 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Usually solicitors as executors are acting as professionals - so as they retire/sell up the responsibility goes to whoever takes over their business.  Which does seem in this case to be no one - but maybe SRA would confirm?
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • Thanks all for prompt replies, I will start with making contact with the one I can find and take it from there
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback