We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Christmas cakes - make or buy marzipan
kah22
Posts: 1,896 Forumite
mm! I’ve six Delia Christmas cakes ready for Christmas. My thoughts are now tuning to marzipan and I’m wondering make my own or buy. My local Sainsbury’s are selling 454 grams for £1.95 while Tesco do 500grams @ £1.75
Do you make your own o buy?
0
Comments
-
In the days when I was able to eat marzipan (can't now as I have a nut allergy), I used to make my own almond paste, it was easy enough to do, and cover the cakes with that. I believe that proper marzipan is cooked, but I only ever did that once and I've forgotten how it was done. Mr Google will supply the answer!
I think it probably depends on how much of a purist you want to be, and also, if you are cooking it, how much time that takes to do. The real advantage of making it yourself is that you know exactly what is in it, and because you are making it just before you are using it, it will taste fresher.Sealed Pot Challenge no 14
Fashion on the Ration - 66 + 10 carried forward.
3 bras 3/76, + Tevas 8/76 + shorts 14/76 2 pairs of flipflops 24/76 2 bras 26/76 2 pairs black trousers 36/761 -
I have made my own cake for quite a few years and have never even considered making my own marzipan.2
-
Nothing to beat home-made marzipan/almond paste. You can adjust the balance of sugar to ground almonds to your taste, and cut down the artificial taste of almond essence if you wish.1
-
You must be a purist.GaleSF63 said:Nothing to beat home-made marzipan/almond paste. You can adjust the balance of sugar to ground almonds to your taste, and cut down the artificial taste of almond essence if you wish.
I can see why you would do this, but having seen people enjoy Christmas cake but leave thick wedges of marzipan and icing on their plates I wouldn't bother investing any thought or effort into this element. If you must have it, just buy it.No man is worth crawling on this earth.
So much to read, so little time.0 -
Didn't have that problem in our family! Either the cake was eaten first to savour the marzipan/icing afterwards, or the cake was simply left.Sealed Pot Challenge no 14
Fashion on the Ration - 66 + 10 carried forward.
3 bras 3/76, + Tevas 8/76 + shorts 14/76 2 pairs of flipflops 24/76 2 bras 26/76 2 pairs black trousers 36/761 -
Rosadamascena - sorry - yes, guilty as charged. Issue is now solved on our family by an agreement that as most people here either aren't bothered whether the cake is iced or not or like me remove the icing and marzipan the christmas cake here is no longer iced! Saves preparation time too.
My Mum even used to make her own almond paste - and I am told it was very good by thse who like such things - I'm afraid it was wasted on me. 2026 Fashion on the Ration - 58.5/92.5 coupons remaining1 pair walking shoes - 5 coupons2 walking t-shirts - 8 coupons2 prs walking socks - thin, short - 2 coupons4 prs WYS wool ankle socks - 8 coupons21 pairs of pantstotal 44 coupons36.6 coupons carried over from 20251 -
No...! Pass it my way please, I could eat Christmas cake until it comes out of my earsCapricornLass said:Didn't have that problem in our family! Either the cake was eaten first to savour the marzipan/icing afterwards, or the cake was simply left.
No man is worth crawling on this earth.
So much to read, so little time.0 -
No, I just don't like bought marzipan. Too much essence, too much sugar; too greasy, you can hardly taste the almonds.Rosa_Damascena said:
You must be a purist.GaleSF63 said:Nothing to beat home-made marzipan/almond paste. You can adjust the balance of sugar to ground almonds to your taste, and cut down the artificial taste of almond essence if you wish.
I can see why you would do this, but having seen people enjoy Christmas cake but leave thick wedges of marzipan and icing on their plates I wouldn't bother investing any thought or effort into this element. If you must have it, just buy it.
0 -
it's been my experience that very little is better store bought than homemade.0
-
Well I used to make my own - but have to admit I then turned to bought.
My late Aunt made wedding cakes etc and I cannot not imagine her buying marzipan nor fondant icing.!!
Own can be expensive as need ground almonds egg whites and icing sugar.....I found bought to be more sticky to roll but cheaper - but it has too many sugar additives than homemade so guess that's what makes it sweeter.
If you like the thought of icing cakes I think home made will give a better base.0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
