Executor but not a beneficiary

Options
My sister and I are joint executors of my fathers will although I have been dealing with the majority of the legal stuff and my sister is ok with this to continue. 
I’m not a beneficiary of my fathers will my sister and my son are which I’m fine with . 
when the house is sold will the solicitors pay the money to my sister and my son as they are the beneficiaries  
Or will it go to my me and then I have to pay then from my account 
My son is planning to buy a house at some point so it would be easier in terms of proof of where the money is from if it went direct from the solicitors to his account 
I have included a copy of the will with the conveyancing details and my fathers death certificate 
As due to a lifetime interest possession when my mother passed away both my sister and myself were put on the deeds of the house but not as beneficial owners 

Comments

• Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Assuming you are using solicitors for the house sale and not for winding up the estate (you and your sister are doing that), the solicitors should pay to an Executors Account that you and your sister open - the solicitors will have no knowledge or interest as to who the beneficiaries are and in what proportion. As Executors, you then distribute from the Executors Account to the beneficiaries as per the will. 

You could handle it through a personal account but as it'll be a sizeable amount and there are two Executors, I'd go for the separate bank account so as not to muddy any waters. But that's my opinion only.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • JGB1955
    JGB1955 Posts: 3,511 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If the house is being sold by the exeutors  the proceeds will be paid to the executors. The solicitors are unlikely to want to be involved in the distribution of the proceeds.
    #2 Saving for Christmas 2024 - £1 a day challenge. £325 of £366
  • RoseBerni
    Options
    thank thank you 
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    As above, I'd open an executors account. Its far simpler to manage income and outgoings of the estate with one and can be kept as a record of the estate.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    As you were legal owners you did not need probate to process the property.

Check with the conveyancing if they will send the money to where you instruct if that is what you want.

Even if it has to come via estate accounts as executor you can provide a covering letter as to source of funds.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Options
    I can’t see that it will make the slightest difference to your son whether the money comes direct to him or from the executor. All the proof he will need is a copy of the will and the estate accounts.
  • Username03725
    Username03725 Posts: 499 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 19 November 2021 at 12:04PM
    Options
    I asked my bank (Nationwide) what would happen if (when) a large sum landed in my account. Their response was that as long as it's clear that it came from a legitimate source there will be no problem, but forewarning them would be advantageous.

Your clarity of source will be easy to show. As above; the will, probate, the relevant Id for both of you. A couple of steps more than direct from a solicitor but still perfectly doable.
  • RoseBerni
    Options
    As you were legal owners you did not need probate to process the property.

Check with the conveyancing if they will send the money to where you instruct if that is what you want.

Even if it has to come via estate accounts as executor you can provide a covering letter as to source of funds.
    Thank you
    We were on the deeds along with my father who passed away 
    we were only put on the deeds recently as as that was what required from my mums will  as her 50 percent was to go to my sister and my son with my dad having a lifetime interest possession so we were trustees 
    I think the wording in the solicitors letter who did this was “legal owners but not beneficial owners “ 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback