No loan yet paying student loan tax

Hi there. I hope I’m posting in the right place as I couldn’t find anything specific for my issue. So my wife finished her Masters for which she payed with her own money. She started a job in September and on both of her payslips that she received so far she’s been taxed for student loan. She spent hours on the phone with hmrc but with no success. Can anyone give us some sort of guidance regarding this? Thank you. HR at her work place told her there’s no thou they can do. Thank you again! 

Alex

Comments

• SiliconChip
    SiliconChip Posts: 1,273
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    The first question I'd ask, is your wife certain that the repayments are related to the non-existant postgraduate loan and not to any undergraduate degree loans that she took out previously?

If she is sure then she should ask her employer to confirm that they have not themselves put her on a Postgraduate Loan repayment plan, perhaps mistakenly when she should be on one of the other plans.

"If you think you’re on the wrong plan

Check which plan you’re on by signing in to your online repayment account and downloading your ‘active plan type letter’.

Then ask your employer which plan they have you on.

If it’s different from the plan in your letter, show this to your employer so they can update your payroll details. You can get a refund if you should have been on Plan 2 or Plan 4 and you overpaid."

If everything appears to be correct then she will need to persevere with HMRC, if she fails to get anywhere it's possible that asking for help from your MP could get results.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback