Options
2»

Comments

• TomT_2
    TomT_2 Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    elsien said:
    Where were the other dog's owners when this happened? All the events like this I am aware of, the owners are all present so didn't the other dogs owners come running over to see what had happened?

FWIW, there is a breed specific "play date" set up for my breed but it's not a formally organised thing, more someone on facebook saying "I've booked the field, it's £x if you want to come along, only come if you can ensure your dog is ok with others."   Many people only know each other off FB, not in person, and no contact information is needed to attend, just paypal to pay your share. I don't go to them because I don't trust people I don't know to keep their dogs under control and the breed in question can cause a lot of damage very quickly. 

If your event is similar, rather than being a formally organised and insured event, then I suspect getting details for anyone to be held liable is going to be near impossible unless they co-operate.
    So how was the event organised?

This was an event organised by the land owner and was advertised as a specific breed social. Looking at there web site I can't see any disclaimer when placing a booking. They have been in touch via whatApp, but they don't want to get involved, advising we need to deal with the dog owner.

The dog owner won't accept any responsibility, if we message her via the 'dogs' Instagram page she blocks and ignores us.

I'm not sure where to take this... part of me wants to post the video showing the bite and all of her dogs Instgram and TikTok details online and see if that gets a response.

Does anyone know who I can talk to, to try and get some support with this ?

Thanks
  • Jude57
    Jude57 Posts: 556 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Check if you have legal cover through your house insurance, bank account or credit card. Or through your union membership (it's not just for employment issues) or your employment. Otherwise, you could try a tracing agent although their fee might be more than your claim would be worth. 
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,353 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    edited 18 November 2021 at 9:14PM
    Options
    Does the dog'd facebook page give a kennel name?

On the first page you say 
    The organisers have a disclaimer on there site saying you attend at your own risk.

But then you say

This was an event organised by the land owner and was advertised as a specific breed social. Looking at there web site I can't see any disclaimer when placing a booking.

But they did have a disclaimer.

• Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    sheramber said:

The organisers have a disclaimer on there site saying you attend at your own risk.

But then you say

This was an event organised by the land owner and was advertised as a specific breed social. Looking at there web site I can't see any disclaimer when placing a booking.

No disclaimer can lawfully exclude liability for their own negligence.
  • TomT_2
    Options
    Jude57 said:
    Check if you have legal cover through your house insurance, bank account or credit card. Or through your union membership (it's not just for employment issues) or your employment. Otherwise, you could try a tracing agent although their fee might be more than your claim would be worth. 
    Thanks for this, are you thinking of using the legal cover to try and take action against the other party, or claim the costs back on the insurance ?
  • TomT_2
    Options
    sheramber said:

But then you say

Thanks for the reply, going through the booking there is no disclaimer however to proceed you have to accept there terms and conditions

"I (the owner) confirm to xxx Dog Fields that I am legal owner of my dog or that I have the owners authorisation to exercise my dog on the grounds of xxx Dog Fields. I confirm that my dog has not been ill with any contagious disease or condition within the past (30) thirty days and is in good health to exercise. I understand that xxx Dog Fields is an exercise facility, I accept the risks involved and agree that xxx Dog Fields are not liable for any injuries or illnesses resulting from my dog’s attendance.

I agree to keep my dog on a lead in all public spaces and only allow my dog off the lead in the secure environment of the field I have hired.

I understand that under no circumstances will xxx Dog Fields be liable for consequential damages resulting from using the facilities."

I guess that covers them?
    Thanks
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    TomT_2 said:
    sheramber said:

But then you say

Thanks for the reply, going through the booking there is no disclaimer however to proceed you have to accept there terms and conditions

"I (the owner) confirm to xxx Dog Fields that I am legal owner of my dog or that I have the owners authorisation to exercise my dog on the grounds of xxx Dog Fields. I confirm that my dog has not been ill with any contagious disease or condition within the past (30) thirty days and is in good health to exercise. I understand that xxx Dog Fields is an exercise facility, I accept the risks involved and agree that xxx Dog Fields are not liable for any injuries or illnesses resulting from my dog’s attendance.

I agree to keep my dog on a lead in all public spaces and only allow my dog off the lead in the secure environment of the field I have hired.

I understand that under no circumstances will xxx Dog Fields be liable for consequential damages resulting from using the facilities."

I guess that covers them?
    Thanks
    No, not necessarily.

As I said, no disclaimer / terms and conditions can exclude liability for negligence. It would all depend on whether they, as organisers, had acted reasonably. They may or may not have done.

This is true whether they are a business or purely voluntary club or even an informal group. I am involved in an activity run largely by a network of clubs run by volunteers. Our activity does have some small degree of risk attached to it, both to the participants and to third parties. Virtually all of the clubs are affiliated to the national body, primarily as it provides insurance cover to protect the volunteers organising the activity, for exactly the reasons you have encountered.

I am no expert on dogs but have they taken reasonable care in organising the activity to minimise the chances of injury (or worse)?  
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback