Amazon claiming wrong product returned via Hermes courier

I recently purchased a tic watch gps 3 from Amazon. I wanted trial what it was like with an iPhone due to preference over the appeal of a tic watch vs an Apple Watch.

After trialing it, I quickly realised its very limited in its capabilities. 

I decided to return back to Amazon and they promptly refunded me and hence I threw away the Hermes card that I was given when returning the package. 

I received an email yesterday from Amazon claiming that they package received was not the watch and they indeed destroyed the packages that they received in its error. 

I immediately contacted them and asked whether this email was a scam but they soon agreed that it was them that sent it. 

I looked online and realised a few people have had this same issue with Amazon. Anything of high value, Amazon claim they receive wrong items and charge the customer. 

Can anyone advice the best next step for me to take? 
My credit card company have agreed to dispute with Amazon. However, I use Amazon a lot and don’t want any of my services revoked.

Help and guidance, appreciated.

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    ( Anything of high value, Amazon claim they receive wrong items and charge the customer. )

Thats a basic untruth .

• ChrisJJ
    ChrisJJ Posts: 243 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    If they have already refunded you - are they now planning to take that refund back?
  • ChrisJJ
    ChrisJJ Posts: 243 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I would've thought they would only have refunded you once they'd checked the parcel contained the correct items.
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    What have Hermes said? Even though you don't have the card they may be able to trace it by date/name etc
  • tempus_fugit
    tempus_fugit Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 19 November 2021 at 8:15PM
    ChrisJJ said:
    I would've thought they would only have refunded you once they'd checked the parcel contained the correct items.
    Sometimes they refund as soon as they receive confirmation of the scan of the item at the sending location. Their communication will also state that this could be reduced or reversed if the item is not satisfactory upon receipt, so I assume this is what has happened here.
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.
  • ChrisJJ said:
    Sometimes they refund as soon as they receive confirmation of the scan of the item at the sending location. Their communication will also state that this could be reduced or reversed if the item is not satisfactory upon receipt, so I assume this is what has happened here.
    tempus_fugit is correct. I returned an item to Amazon for the first time ever, & used their drop off process in a local shop with Hermes contracted as the pick up operators. Surprised to get immediate refund, but I was also advised that if the product didn't reach Amazon then the refund would be reversed (or words to that effect), I didn't like the sound of that bit, Hermes wasn't my choice, it's Amazons. 

How can anyone prove what is IN the package when they sent it back, or Amazon prove that it wasn't! 
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I always take a photo of expensive items in the box .
  • tempus_fugit
    tempus_fugit Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 25 November 2021 at 5:31AM
    ChrisJJ said:
    tempus_fugit is correct. I returned an item to Amazon for the first time ever, & used their drop off process in a local shop with Hermes contracted as the pick up operators. Surprised to get immediate refund, but I was also advised that if the product didn't reach Amazon then the refund would be reversed (or words to that effect), I didn't like the sound of that bit, Hermes wasn't my choice, it's Amazons. 

How can anyone prove what is IN the package when they sent it back, or Amazon prove that it wasn't! 
    The thing is, I’ve returned a few items over the years and never had any not turn up back at Amazon or the sellers. However, I’ve also never used Hermes as I’ve always been given a choice, usually between Hermes, UPS or Royal Mail, and I usually pick UPS as they have the most convenient drop-off point locally, and TBH I usually avoid selecting Hermes. 
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback