PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

What's the strangest clause you've seen in a tenancy/property agreement?

Options
After reading a thread that mentions a freehold with the clause 'no playing piano in the garden', I wondered,

What's the strangest clause you've seen in a tenancy/property agreement?

Comments

• Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    We had a clause in a tenancy agreement that said we couldn’t have a waterbed.  They hit the jackpot on this one because we did have one.   :D

After a lot of hoo ha and to-ing  and fro-ing of letters we won the argument that it was an unfair clause.  
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,651 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    we are looking at one at the moment that doesn't allow fencing in the property
  • rexmedorum
    Options
    We had one where we had to do a professional clean upon moving out and provide receipts. Unfair clause, and I didn't want to do it, but in the end we ran out of time and ended up getting a cleaning company in.

Another one (as students) that we had to maintain the lawn at our costs. What was strange was that the LL arranged and paid for a gardener to do regular lawn maintanance.
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,640 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 November 2021 at 7:02PM
    Options
    Most daft clauses are unenforceable & can be happily ignored. 

e.g. Clause 1.  Front door must be repainted every January & July in blue, plus Red in April & October.

So tenant doesn't.  What will landlord do? Try to evict for breach of contract (a discretionary ground, i.e. up to judge if he grants possession).  No judge in his right mind would grant possession for beach of such a clause. Landlord has no other option that he wouldn;t have if clause wasn;t there.  Waste of ink & paper. 

Artful: Landlord since 2000
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,207 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 10 November 2021 at 7:06PM
    Options
    Most daft clauses are unenforceable & can be happily ignored. 

e.g. Clause 1.  Front door must be repainted every January & July in blue, plus Red in April & October.

Artful: Landlord since 2000
    @theartfullodger
    was it your clause??  And what did you do when they painted it green and purple???
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • MaryNB
    MaryNB Posts: 2,319 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    My friend owns a leasehold and the lease has a clause saying she's not allowed two pianos in her flat. I don't think she could physically get one piano in her flat, never mind two. 
  • rexmedorum
    Options
    not a clause but one rental we had sent letters about quarterly inspections, thretening with £125 admin charge if the inspection had to be mved in agressive semi-legal language.

When we were moving out they turned up for a viewing once without giving us notice. I didn't let them in.
  • Skiddaw1
    Skiddaw1 Posts: 2,028 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    We weren't allowed to sell alcohol or run a dairy. There was also a 'lost covenant', which neither we, nor anyone else on the road, ever got to the bottom of (obviously, it was known as the Ark of the Lost Covenant :)).
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback