Student Loans / Parental Contribution

Options
As parents we work hard to support our children and then if lucky enough, they get into University and we still have to contribute once they are adults. Has anyone ever asked why this contribution that we have to make is not taken off before we pay our income tax or national insurance contributions?

Comments

• MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 10 November 2021 at 2:51PM
    Options
    I'm sure many people have asked. But parents only have to pay if they earn above a certain amount p.a. As a single parent, I wasn't expected to contribute anything for my daughter's uni education. I would have been happy to pay though because I think allowing children the access to all education is one of the best things we can do for them. One of my favourite sayings has always been "they didn't ask to be born". (But of course, none of us did!) Happy to pay. My daughter's now half way through her MA, enjoying it immensely and scoring distinctions all the way. I graduated with a 2.1 BA Hons at the age of 53 so no parental contribution for me, just the basic student loan. Best thing I ever did and wish I'd had the opportunity to do it earlier. 

P.S. Getting into university has nothing whatsoever to do with luck! It's hard work, pure hard work, I can vouch for that. 
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • annabanana82
    Options
    My children will have what I can afford, it may be more it may be less than the stated parental contributions. Realistically not every parent will have the means to support them as much as the government say should do.
    Make £2023 in 2023 (#36) £3479.30/£2023

Make £2024 in 2024...
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 11 November 2021 at 2:27AM
    Options
    CW153902 said:
    As parents we work hard to support our children and then if lucky enough, they get into University and we still have to contribute once they are adults. Has anyone ever asked why this contribution that we have to make is not taken off before we pay our income tax or national insurance contributions?
    The parental contribution is not mandatory.  Just because the household income is taken into account when determining the amount of student loan a person is entitled to there is nothing saying you must give your adult child the difference.  Deducting the money from pre-tax income would be open to abuse with some parents taking the tax benefit whilst giving diddly squat to the student.

Everyone should be allowed to borrow the same amount of money and as an adult your parents should not be expected to support you.  If at the age of 18 you found yourself pregnant and single your parents wouldn't be expected to support you.  Nor are your parents expected to support you if at 18 you decide to join the armed forces.
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,754 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 11 November 2021 at 12:56PM
    Options
    CW153902 said:
    Has anyone ever asked why this contribution that we have to make is not taken off before we pay our income tax or national insurance contributions?
    I have a conflicted view on this.  My initial response was going to be - Probably because, if it reduces your Tax and NI contributions, then others are picking up part of the bill.  I would argue that it is not the greater public's obligation to provide financial support so that your children may benefit from a university education.  However, having said that I fall into the camp that believe that university education, up to degree level, should be free so maybe my gut response conflicts with my view of the larger picture.    

I think I'll take the view that the education (university attendance) should be free but, if a parent choses to support with living and/or other costs etc then that should come from their pocket - not mine.  

I will add that two of my wife's children have attended university - both at a time when my wife was not in a financial position to support them and their father refused to support them.  The both made it through by working part time to support themselves.    
  • Jami74
    Jami74 Posts: 1,019 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I have a child at university that I am supporting. I'm not giving as much as the government maximum but it is enough that that she can afford rent and food. Since she is no longer at home our food and electricity costs have dropped and so the money I give to her is coming from those savings.

Do most people expect to stop supporting their kids when they reach 18? I always expected to support my kids for as long as they needed (need, not want).
    Debt Free: 01/01/2020
  • Pixie5740
    Options
    MEM62 said:
    CW153902 said:
    Has anyone ever asked why this contribution that we have to make is not taken off before we pay our income tax or national insurance contributions?
    I have a conflicted view on this.  My initial response was going to be - Probably because, if it reduces your Tax and NI contributions, then others are picking up part of the bill.  I would argue that it is not the greater public's obligation to provide financial support so that your children may benefit from a university education.  However, having said that I fall into the camp that believe that university education, up to degree level, should be free so maybe my gut response conflicts with my view of the larger picture.    

I think I'll take the view that the education (university attendance) should be free but, if a parent choses to support with living and/or other costs etc then that should come from their pocket - not mine.  

I will add that two of my wife's children have attended university - both at a time when my wife was not in a financial position to support them and their father refused to support them.  The both made it through by working part time to support themselves.    
    Blended families - that's another flaw with the current system.  The household income determines how much student loan a person is entitled to, not the combined parental income.  If you lived with your wife at the time her daughters were going to university your income would be taken into account, not the fathers.
  • Pixie5740
    edited 12 November 2021 at 5:46AM
    Options
    Jami74 said:
    I have a child at university that I am supporting. I'm not giving as much as the government maximum but it is enough that that she can afford rent and food. Since she is no longer at home our food and electricity costs have dropped and so the money I give to her is coming from those savings.

Do most people expect to stop supporting their kids when they reach 18? I always expected to support my kids for as long as they needed (need, not want).
    Some people do cease supporting their children and quite a few people I knew at university lived at home and had to pay rent to the parent(s) whilst receiving no parental support.  In at least one case my friend's contribution towards his mother's household was a third of all bills including the mortgage (3 people living in the property).

Another friend had to fight to prove he was completely independent of his parents.  Parents separated, father absent, mother one of those women who ignore existing children when she gets together with a new partner and has a child(ren) with him.

• MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,627 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Jami74 said:

Same here - I top up to the gov maximum as I am lucky enough to be able to. Her course is too intense to work during term time but she did get a job last summer. In it for the long haul as it is a 6 year course
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback