Sky Charges

I am currently experiencing difficulties with Sky and wondered if anyone had any advice?

In August I reduced some of my services with sky as my contract was renewing and I wanted to reduce my outgoings. At the time I cancelled sky multiscreen but later that night reactivated it as I was offered an additional deal and it made sense to keep it.

A week or so later I received packaging to return the mini sky q box which was followed up a few weeks later with an email saying they had not received it. I called Sky, explained that I had kept this service so was still using the equipment and was told that I did not need to return the equipment and the charge would not be applied.

Around about a month later I receive an email warning me that as the equipment had still not been returned a charge of £50 would be applied to the account unless I returned the equipment immediately. I called the same day, explained that I had already spoken to somebody. The advisor apologised, gave me a free upgrade for Netflix as a goodwill gesture and assured me the charges would not be applied and had been removed from my account. 

This month I have been charged an additional £50, which I have not paid yet. It has been added to my bill taking it to £120, which is nearly double what I usually pay and cannot afford. I have taken this up with sky who have simply informed me to pay the £120 and they will take the £50 off my bill next month. I have explained that I cannot afford to do this and would like the bill adjusted and am waiting to hear back.

I do not understand how this is fair and I should be expected to pay the £50 regardless to compensate for their error. Does anyone have any advice?

Comments

• emmajones1976
    emmajones1976 Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 5 November 2021 at 1:06PM
    Is this a case that its now too late for them to adjust it because the direct debit is coming out early next week?
  • The charge was applied very last minute. I was able to cancel the direct debit before they could take it. I always pay my bill on time but hadn't accounted for the charge and didn't have the extra funds. I just want to be able to pay for the bill that I owe. 
  • emmajones1976
    emmajones1976 Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 5 November 2021 at 1:50PM
    If you have cancelled it, then make a card payment for the total bill but leave it £50 short, but you will need to contact them and tell them you have done this to avoid a potential loss of service.
    You will be in a better bargaining position if you have at least paid the correct amount.
  • Thank you. I will pay the bill minus the £50 and see what happens. I have an open complaint with them in regards to this but they just keep on insisting that I have to pay it. I will update them. Fingers crossed it is resolved soon
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback